Horses & Large Animals Community
my horse is losing weight very rapidly!!

Welcome to the Horses & Large Animals Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your horses and other large pets!

I have read several posts here about the same thing, however, in my case i am at a huge disadvantage.  9 years ago, my father passed away, leaving his horse (and dog) and house in Mexico.  I care for all now,  with little experience for any as far as actual "care" goes.  I have ridden for years, but with no formal training.  My fathers and now my, horse is part Arab..stallionand we do not know his real age, but all have guessed him to be in his upper 20's and up until recently...very healthy and fast...despite his long time living conditions.  He lives on the beach in a med sized "run in" coral.  I have someone who feeds him, and I visit twice a month.  Again, up until recently, he has always been strong and beautiful and feisty!!!  No health problems EVER...however, in July, for my children and my annual summer long stay, he began to lose weight.  I increased his foot, alfalfa/secate, to 3 x a day, and added a "senior" grain.  His water intake seems normal, and he is ALWAYS hungry...whinning for more..always.  I dewormed him a couple times over the summer, but because ther really are no "real" horse vets here..only old timers Rancheros..i only guess at what kind of dewormer...but even after doing that, i returned two weeks after my last visit, this visit, to find him even more skinny.  I have researched but find the teeth floating probability over and over as a possible cause...but....there are no equine dentists here!! i have watched youtube videos and googled this procedure, but i feel too this may be the problem.  but i do not know how to know for sure if there is no professional here.  also, today i had blood drawn by a local dog/cat vet...and she seemed to think she saw some indication of some kidney problem, however, i will get the lab results tomorrow, but still without a real qualifed equine vet..i do not know what to do..please please..if anyone can understand my dilemma based on my restrictions as i do not live in Mexico and need to travel back and forth..i do not want to hurt my horse..he is family to me and my children..and we love him..and we have never had any problems with him,.   but without professional horse care available, nor can i move him from Mexico...what can i do?

thank you all very much..and i pray someone will read this and answer quickly.