Horses & Large Animals Community
nosebleed in short yearling

Welcome to the Horses & Large Animals Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your horses and other large pets!

nosebleed in short yearling

may 09 colt, about 2 weeks ago, I brought this colt in for the night. the next morning, he had a nosebleed and had bled quite allot all around the stall walls  large clots  etc. I could find no head trauma, no injury, no flinching or painful areas around his head.  The bleeding stopped, but I kept him up for observation.  Now starting Monday morning, he has been bleeding constantly...The vet came out and couldn't make anything of it either.  It's just a slow drip from one nostril.  Occasionally he will cough, I am at wits end as to what to do to help this colt.  Any  suggestions or similar events.  He is eating well, cleaning up all his hay and eating all his grain. seems alert but not very energetic.  He walks well, has good balance when we exercize him..but the bleeding won't stop
A nosebleed is usually the result of some trauma, especially one-sided nosebleed.  I am wondering if your yearling got a stick or hay poked up his nose? Does he have any evidence of a cut or abrasion inside? An irritation of hay/bedding inside the nasal passage? Or, perhaps he knocked his head/nose somehow that made the blood vessels/capillary open, resulting in bleeding. Nosebleeds could result from vigorous exercise, but from what you describe, this is not the case, especially as he was stalled. How is the bleeding now?  What did the Vet. do when he came to look at the yearling? Did he actually look inside the nose with a scope?  My concern is that you say he is coughing.  This could indicate presence of a foreign body, and whenever I hear coughing, I am concern that it could become a lung issue as opposed to an upper airway issue. If this is still happening, I would consider a second opinion, or a trip to your nearest equine clinic where they can do some diagnostic tests to determine the cause. In the meantime, you might find this article interesting:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/care/402/71931.html

Please let me know how your colt progresses and if any determination is made as to the cause if it does not stop on its own.