Horses & Large Animals Community
swollen sheath
About This Community:

Welcome to the Horses & Large Animals Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your horses and other large pets!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

swollen sheath

5851479?1277829129
My 8 year old Haflinger gelding presented with a swollen sheath 7 days ago (Tues 06/22). Our local vet made a farm call, no inflammation to other dependent areas (no stocking up etc); good bowel sounds; good lung sounds; heart sounds ok; anal temp normal; some reluctance to move which seemed to be due to swelling rather than tenderness of feet or muscle soreness. No sign of trauma. Given banmine 10 ml IM and dexamethasone 5 ml IM started naquasone bolus 1/2 tab q pm x 12 doses. The next evening (wed 06/23) I repeated the banamine and cleaned his sheath well, he extended and retracted it normally. With no visable change, I trailered him to the vet on Friday morning (06/25). The vet administered Ace IV and examined his sheath - no bean, no sign of trauma or injury. The vet added tri-hist q AM and continue the naquasone regime.

Today is Tuesday 06/29 - no positive changes, although he does seem more reluctant to move about. He is walking around on our Paddock Paradise track and eating hay. He is apparently uriniating and passing fecal waste in his normal fashion. No heat to feet, no tenderness to pinch test on sole. He has been barefoot all his life - mustang trimmed. He seems his usual bright, curious self - but his sheath is still swollen and I know he's uncomfortable because he's lagging behind the band and self isolating - NOT normal haflinger behavior!

We're off to an equine hospital tomorrow - any ideas out there? I'm worried.

This discussion is related to swollen sheath.