weight loss in old horse
Hi I a 19 yr old tb/id who stands 17hh, he has plenty of bone and a very shinny healthy coat but he is so thin it pains me to look at him. He has always been lean but it seems it is worse now than ever. He dosnt have a great appitite, he gets beet plup and weight gain mix, alfa chop, sumo and red cell. his teeth are done regular as are his vacs and his back but i cant get weight on him at all. He has access to hayleg and grass but isnt that interested in them either even if the other horses are eating. please help
It sounds as though you have many of the bases covered, which is a good thing.  One thing you did not mention is his de-worming schedule.  Is he de-wormed regularly?  Also, in my opinion, haylage is not the best option in forage.  Are you able to get some nice grass hay bales?  Some orchard grass?  Green and SOFT?  This would be a better option, but with any feed change, start gradually and slowly. A horse that is thin would need to have forage in front of him 24/7.  However, it seems that maybe some bloodwork would be in order.  Many older horses could have some underlying problem, so please contact your vet.  Also, is the weight gain mix a supplement or a grain? I have some senior horses, and I cannot say enough about senior grain/feed, then you could add the supplements. However, it is forage which will put the weight on best.  Please let me know an update.