yellow in eyes
I just noticed that my 27 yr old  paint gelding has yellow in the whites of his eyes.  I'm not sure if  I've ever noticed this be fore or there is something wrong or going wrong.  Eats well and lives on twenty acres along w/ pals mule 27 an mare 20.  Has two blue eyes one dark and one cold blue, has cancer in cold  blue on  white side of face.  Been treated for cancer but can no longer handle stress of freezing the cancer out.
I would consider getting your vet to do a liver enzyme test, it sounds like he has jaundice which can be a sign of an ailing liver, or a liver condition. Possible that the cancer could have spread.
I would also recommend having a Vet do tests to find out the cause.. Your horse is considered geriatric and careful monitoring in general would be needed in this case, but since he has had a history of cancer in addition to his age, extra care would be recommended.
Let us know what the results are.