Hospice Community
CHF and Kidney failure

WELCOME TO THE HOSPICE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Hospice Care. The goal of hospice care is to provide comfort, relieve physical, emotional and spiritual suffering, and to promote the dignity of terminally ill persons. Topics discussed in this community are: Bereavement Care, Coordination of Care, End of Life Care, Family Support, Home Care, Inpatient Care, Insurance Issues, Pain Control, Respite Care, Spiritual Care, Symptom Control, When to Call Hospice.

CHF and Kidney failure

My Dad is presently under hospice care for kidney failure and has numerous other health problems.  He was told a month ago of his condition and dialysis was not an option.  We have been given two meds to administer, ABR cream and ativan.  The visiting RN advised us to give it to him as needed.  Dad has a persistent cough that sometimes scares him because he can't catch his breath.  When this happens he usualy expells a thick mucus, but it's so frightening to watch because his face becomes beet red and he holds his head as if in pain. Yesterday we gave two doses of ativan, once in the early afternoon and then at bedtime.  He did sleep well without much coughing.

Is it recommended to continue just the ativan and not the ABR?  What signs should we look for that he is seriously failing?  In patients such as him which disease would normally end life, kidney failure or heart failure?
The ABR cream takes a lil longer to "kick" in then the Lorazepam (Ativan) given by mouth. Have you checked about just some regular cough medication if he is able to swallow? Or some Mucinex to thin out the secretions some -again if he is able to swallow pills.

To answer a few other questions heart failure and kidney failure go hand in hand. Its a viscous cycle. The meds to "help" the heart failure become toxic to the kidneys and thus renal failure develops. Usually most patients from my experience die from the heart failure. Their lungs become "full" and they get edema all over-again all signs of heart failure. I describe heart failure a lot like this " When you buy a girdle its nice and tight and over the years it gets stretched out and thin-thus the same with the heart muscles" The muscles weaken and cant pump the fluid around as it should. So how do you treat that conservatively at home. Morphine (2 reasons it helps to slow respirations down if they are working hard to breathe and it facilitatates better oxygen exchange and of course helps with pain if there are issues) lorazepam ( again not being able to breathe can cause anxiety and Ativan helps with the anixiety and restlessness) Atropine eye drops (given orally can decrease the amount of secretions being coughed up and decrease any gurgling). Other comfort meds such as something for nausea and fever are also used.

Don't be afraid if they offer morphine-there are a lot of mis conceptions out there about this medication. You think morphine-that's for pain. But in hospice its used a lot for management of trouble breathing.

Ask your hospice nurse about "gone from my sight" its a blue lil book that helps talk about what you can expect in the last few days,,weeks or months. They may have their own version.

I hope for all the best. (((hugs)))