Hospice Community
Care or Downright Murder

WELCOME TO THE HOSPICE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Hospice Care. The goal of hospice care is to provide comfort, relieve physical, emotional and spiritual suffering, and to promote the dignity of terminally ill persons. Topics discussed in this community are: Bereavement Care, Coordination of Care, End of Life Care, Family Support, Home Care, Inpatient Care, Insurance Issues, Pain Control, Respite Care, Spiritual Care, Symptom Control, When to Call Hospice.

Care or Downright Murder

I am reading more and more stories of patients survivors accusing Hospice of giving overdoses of morphine to patients in order to speed up their deaths.  I think it is humane to help people that are terminally ill not be uncomfortable while in the dying process but to blatenly overdose patients is unethical and should be considered murder.

http://www.hospicepatients.org/euth-acct-four.html
Thank you taking the time to share the story.   You make a good point about your view.  It is important to keep in mind that there are many stories out there that talk about how indispensable hospice services were for them in their time of need.

I agree with you. When I would admit a patient I would make sure the patient and family understand...Many time a patient in active stage of dying would require more meds. Found Morphine than would be given to a person that was dying. I would explain to them... yes..the morphine MAY shorten life just little. That's not the goal of Hospicr. I would ask them when the time came..... did they want the to pass moaning and be in evident pain and live 7 more days as opposed to maybe 5 daya and pass comfortable. ALL, yes I say all of patients as well as the families, would choose the latter. Many times their fear was they would be in agonizing pain. I assured them the choice was theirs and I would support them in whatever decision they might make. Also they could change their minds as the time to their passing. Their last memories of loved one was  GOOD ONES, if that is possible. The patient would thank me, know they wouldn't die in pain. I also would try and answer any questions that friends would tell them. Some had been told.. when hopspice comes in ... will not be long before they kill them. All my families thanked me for helping them during this time and assuring their loved one not in pain. Can't imagine the feekings they would have if patient died and they witnessed them in horrible pain. My son passed in 1/98 . Did not have hospice, but after woring as a hospice nurse.. sure wish I had. We were there 13mos. afterwards to offer support after anniversary of 1 year of their death.   Madlyn
hospice is for the dying and since they have lots of experience at it; I think it should be left to family and dr.s at hospice and if speeding up death seems terrible then what does keeping a dying person alive to suffer mean.
no one works there because they like to kill old or sick and for any amateurs to the process to come along and cry foul; well they should just keep the old folks in their own home and see how well that works.
Hospice is a great thing and does not need to be scrutinized by those not involved.
IMHO