Hospice Community
Care or Downright Murder

WELCOME TO THE HOSPICE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Hospice Care. The goal of hospice care is to provide comfort, relieve physical, emotional and spiritual suffering, and to promote the dignity of terminally ill persons. Topics discussed in this community are: Bereavement Care, Coordination of Care, End of Life Care, Family Support, Home Care, Inpatient Care, Insurance Issues, Pain Control, Respite Care, Spiritual Care, Symptom Control, When to Call Hospice.

Care or Downright Murder

I am reading more and more stories of patients survivors accusing Hospice of giving overdoses of morphine to patients in order to speed up their deaths.  I think it is humane to help people that are terminally ill not be uncomfortable while in the dying process but to blatenly overdose patients is unethical and should be considered murder.

http://www.hospicepatients.org/euth-acct-four.html
Thank you taking the time to share the story.   You make a good point about your view.  It is important to keep in mind that there are many stories out there that talk about how indispensable hospice services were for them in their time of need.

I agree with you. When I would admit a patient I would make sure the patient and family understand...Many time a patient in active stage of dying would require more meds. Found Morphine than would be given to a person that was dying. I would explain to them... yes..the morphine MAY shorten life just little. That's not the goal of Hospicr. I would ask them when the time came..... did they want the to pass moaning and be in evident pain and live 7 more days as opposed to maybe 5 daya and pass comfortable. ALL, yes I say all of patients as well as the families, would choose the latter. Many times their fear was they would be in agonizing pain. I assured them the choice was theirs and I would support them in whatever decision they might make. Also they could change their minds as the time to their passing. Their last memories of loved one was  GOOD ONES, if that is possible. The patient would thank me, know they wouldn't die in pain. I also would try and answer any questions that friends would tell them. Some had been told.. when hopspice comes in ... will not be long before they kill them. All my families thanked me for helping them during this time and assuring their loved one not in pain. Can't imagine the feekings they would have if patient died and they witnessed them in horrible pain. My son passed in 1/98 . Did not have hospice, but after woring as a hospice nurse.. sure wish I had. We were there 13mos. afterwards to offer support after anniversary of 1 year of their death.   Madlyn
hospice is for the dying and since they have lots of experience at it; I think it should be left to family and dr.s at hospice and if speeding up death seems terrible then what does keeping a dying person alive to suffer mean.
no one works there because they like to kill old or sick and for any amateurs to the process to come along and cry foul; well they should just keep the old folks in their own home and see how well that works.
Hospice is a great thing and does not need to be scrutinized by those not involved.
IMHO
My mother died on  January 29th , 2015. Her vital signs were strong, she had been complaining of pain in the bladder area. The doctors at the nursing home where she had lived for 1 year and 8 months claimed that they could not find a cause for the pain. In the 6 months before her death she had become disruptive, often crying out and screaming. The nursing home could not control her and threatened us 3 times in the month before she died that we would have to find another place for her. Because of the notes in her file, no one would take her. A supervising nurse suggested that Hospice come in to assist with the pain she was experiencing. We agreed since she was in experiencing intermittent pain. We were told by the Hospice nurse that she was being administered the lowest dosage of Morphine .05 milligrams. After several days she became un responsive, when we asked the same nursing home supervisor about the low dosage, we were advised , yes it is .05 milligrams of Morphine but every 4 hours. We were never advised about the dosage being more than one a day and asked that it be administered as need for pain. The morphine was adjusted AS Needed , determined by Hospice. She died in less than 2 weeks.
I'm sorry for your loss. I have worked in Hospice for several years now and I stay in the field because I truly believe in the work we are doing and the relief we provide patients and families. We do not believe in accelerating death, we only want the patient to transition peacefully with as little pain/discomfort as possible. As far as the Morphine goes, a dose of 5 mg (.05 mg is not a usual starting dose and wouldn't provide any therapeutic benefit as this is too low) every 4 hours would not cause death in an otherwise healthy, or even less than healthy individual. It was likely that your mother's hospice scheduled the medication to better control the pain as studies show that pain medication is much more effective in controlling chronic pain when given ATC (around the clock), and she probably was continuing to experience pain episodes with her medication given on an as needed basis. I do believe they should've informed the family or POA (if that is you) prior to making changes as I do with all my patients. As far as Morphine goes, I have a patient with chronic pain who received Morphine 10 mg appx every 2 hours along with long acting MS Contin (morphine) 30 mg twice daily and Fentanyl patch 50 mcg every 72 hours, he has been receiving this for months. People become tolerant quickly to Morphine and a low dose of 5 mg every 4 hours wouldn't have caused death to your mother
Thanks for your input. I don't believe Sad is currently active. Many ppl come and go quickly from this forum, indeed from many of MedHelp's forums.

I too have worked in Hospice. My dad recieved Hospice in my home the last 8-9 months of his life. The care, love and support was more than impressive. They will be forever in my heart.

My mom received Hospice Care in a hospital setting a year ago. There was no time to move her. I saw a huge difference in the nurses and care. One hospital nurse refused to followed the physician ordered medication protocol saying, "I'm not Kevorkian."  My mom suffered more than need be initially. Thankfully all we children and her physician fought for her right to die in peace and dignity as she requested.

Ppl fear Hospice unnecessarily. I've not witnessed nor heard first hand of Hospice "killing" anyone, though sadly that is the public's general opinion. We need more education. Ppl have actually been on Hospice for several years, or come on and off Hospice. Unbelievably I've known of ppl that actually improved and no longer required Hospice, rare yes but it can happen.

Death is difficult. It's often easier to blame someone or something else for a loved one's death than to accept the facts. We all die and often too early for the loved ones we leave behind.

Thank you for the work you do. Good Hospice staff have a gift! I'm so glad they share it.

God Bless,
~Tuck
I don't know if you are still monitoring this site - but I feel compelled to respond to your comments.

You apparently have a rare bad experience with Hospice or are misinformed on the subject. I'm sorry for you.

Hospice does not "kill" ppl. The Hospice client makes the choices from day one of admission - or even before in writing. Hospitals, Clinics,Physicians,  Attorneys and so forth ask today that you put your last wishes in legal form. This is encouraged at any age. The general public just doesn't seem to know the true function of Hospice.

The patient - or the person the patient chose as his/her POA of health care make all the decisions  - not Hospice, not even the attending physician. At any time you may leave Hospice and seek care at a hospital... including right up to your final day(s).

You may chose the medications you want or don't want -  initially and at any time. My father did not want Morphine and never received it.  Morphine did not address his pain.  I refused other offered medications for him in the final 2 days of his life - meds that I knew my father would not have agreed to. No one pressured him or me. It was his way - and his way alone. That's true for everyone in Hospice. I've seen other patients chose morphine to ease their pain. We're all different as to what best treats our pain.

To suggest that siblings or children place loved ones in Hospice to hasten their death because they have busy lives is absolutely ridiculous - and far from the truth and cruel.
Hospice is an extension of Home Health. There is criteria for both programs. Yes private insurances and Medicare dictate what they will pay for and what they won't - as it has been since Medicare and Insurances began. It's true when you are young and basically healthy and it's true when you are in your final months and days of life.

The fact is we all die. When my time comes  - unless it's sudden - I have already chosen to have Hospice Care.

~Tuck