Hospice Community
Hospice is...

WELCOME TO THE HOSPICE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Hospice Care. The goal of hospice care is to provide comfort, relieve physical, emotional and spiritual suffering, and to promote the dignity of terminally ill persons. Topics discussed in this community are: Bereavement Care, Coordination of Care, End of Life Care, Family Support, Home Care, Inpatient Care, Insurance Issues, Pain Control, Respite Care, Spiritual Care, Symptom Control, When to Call Hospice.

Hospice is...

Hospice is comfort cares only. Basically, someone who is expected to pass in the next 6 months (if their disease progresses normally). With hospice, a nurse will monitor the patient. But, especially if the patient is at  home, its extremely important for the family to be involved.  If you notice something about your loved one, if they fall, even if they're having an "off" day, do not hesitate to call hospice.  I have been a CNA since I was 17. In September, my grandpa passed unexpectedly (he was taking care of my gma who had cancer). Well, I quit my job & move my family 2 hrs away so i could take care of my grandma. I am also 37 weeks pregnant now, she passed 12/4. Towards the end of her life, i felt as if hospice was best for her. Hospice covered meds that we had been paying out of pocket for & even helped me get gma in & out of the car to dr appointments. My gma was a bigger lady, short but still a 2x. I loved the fact that I knew what was going on. If you are unsure, research your loved ones care, ask the dr,  nurse...whoever. Because of my gmas chemo not taking, her platelet count was only 20, they said if she falls, she will probably bleed internally. I talked to my grandma about it & hospice & got her a commode  since she was still getting up and everything by herself at that moment. Well, i went into  preterm labor and asked my uncle to stay with her. She needed reminded not to get up and go all the way to bathroom by herself. Well, she fell that night, in the bathroom. I came home the next day & she was upset. I told  her painfully isnt the way to go (she said she wanted to be done but scared). I told her, id call everyone in the am & have them come. she fell again & it took my 3 uncles and 2 ems guys to get her up. She talked that night then the next day 12/3,  nothing except "uh huh" i was turning her and  baby moved & she felt it. I was so excited cuz nobody else felt him move except my daughter & hubby. Anyways, i called hospice & the grief counselor thru hospice & they both came right away. I know gma was content so i was ok but not everyone seen it like that. Hospice helped comfort the family & let them grieve in their own ways. Without hospice, i would have done it alone. Im extremely thankful i didnt have to. It  takes somebody truly strong to be a good hospice aide, nurse, dr, councelor.