Life expectency assessments
Hi there,

I've been a hospice nurse for 15 years, what a gift to do this service. My question is whether or not it is an absolute CMS requirement to fill out a worksheet on life expectancy for a patient who has been on 2 cert. periods, has had a MD face to face within the last 2 weeks certifying eligibility and now is imminently dying. The documentation picture has been "painted" on this last recertification regarding the stage of imminent death and in the documentation the Karnofsky, ADL score and Descriptive score have been documented. The supervisor is stating that the "Life expectancy worksheet" a 5 page paper document be filled out on every patient every admit and recertification regardless of circumstances. For example, even if a new admit isn't expected to live 24 hours, this is still enforced as a "requirement for medicare"  I have read the COPS, cannot find this and have the understanding these "worksheets" are for assistance in helping to determine eligibility.   So is this documentation really  a CMS/COP requirement?  I'd love not to have to do pointless documentation when there is so much we could improve upon that would actually matter!

Thanks in advance!
I did some research, looked in a few places, but found nothing stating that this is an actual requirement. It might be a requirement for whoever you work for so they can be reimbursed, as the form is indeed designed to help determine eligibility. You might end up being stuck filling the forms out regardless if that's what they want you to do, unfortunately. We all do a lot of "silly, and unnecessary" things on a daily basis in the workplace. Your workplace is vitally important, and all unnecessary paperwork, etc. that takes you away from patients should be avoided at all costs- IMHO. Take care,
         shinty