Hospice Community
Pancreatic cancer question, end of life

WELCOME TO THE HOSPICE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Hospice Care. The goal of hospice care is to provide comfort, relieve physical, emotional and spiritual suffering, and to promote the dignity of terminally ill persons. Topics discussed in this community are: Bereavement Care, Coordination of Care, End of Life Care, Family Support, Home Care, Inpatient Care, Insurance Issues, Pain Control, Respite Care, Spiritual Care, Symptom Control, When to Call Hospice.

Pancreatic cancer question, end of life

Hi, I just have a couple of questions regarding my grandmother, who is currently in a hospice home and was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer in July.

Currently, she hasn't been responding verbally for the past couple days. My dad had asked her to close her eyes for a second if she understood him, which she did not do. She is unable to speak, walk, use the restroom, or basically do much of anything anymore. She has a collapsed lung, among many of her pains and ailments caused by the cancer. She has has hallucinations, obvious confusion about her surroundings,  changing breathing patterns, and the desire not to live. Lastly, she had spent many of her days asleep most of the time, also throughout the night with the occasional outburst of pain and agitation which she was given Xanax for.. But for the last couple days, she has been unusually awake most of the day. Not sure what this means.  I was just wondering roughly how much time she had left, and if these symptoms were normal.. I know some of them are, but I am very confused about her very small ability to communicate with the outside world. She has gotten through every milestone and goal she has set for herself and has surpassed every time limit given to her by doctors, so it does not surprise me she has made it this far. I am just curious for some input by somebody else. Thank you!