hospice and lactulose
I was just looking for an opinion on something...
if there is a ESLD pt. on hospice, would you still use Lactulose?  This pt. has very high ammonia levels, causing him to be very confused and lethargic.  He wants to wake up, speak, but just can't.  Is it unethical to give the lactulose?  He is not having frequent bowel movements, maybe once every other day.  I just think that being able to speak to his family and friends is comforting him.  I would love some feed back.
I think it's absolutely wrong to give it in this circumstance, but your hands may be tied. I think your definitely in the right profession as you demonstrate a  very high level of care for your patients by just simply asking the question that you did in this post. Keep up the great work, and keep on questioning everything that doesn't sit well with you, as you are obviously very competent. Take care of yourself so you can continue helping others, it will come back to you ten-fold.
                              shinty