Hospice Community
is this right? Please help!!

WELCOME TO THE HOSPICE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Hospice Care. The goal of hospice care is to provide comfort, relieve physical, emotional and spiritual suffering, and to promote the dignity of terminally ill persons. Topics discussed in this community are: Bereavement Care, Coordination of Care, End of Life Care, Family Support, Home Care, Inpatient Care, Insurance Issues, Pain Control, Respite Care, Spiritual Care, Symptom Control, When to Call Hospice.

is this right? Please help!!

Ok long story short my grandmother is 93 she has lived a very healthy life and even with her age she isnt like most that have lived to be almost 100 well not that I really have been around too many but I wouldn't think that there are tons of 92 year old women running around the house washing clothes and cooking Thanksgiving dinner for the whole family, not because of any reason other than she wouldn't have had it any other way, Now I say 92 because this past year has definitely taken a toll on her, with 2 out of the 3 children she had given birth to both her daughters passed away not even 5 months apart.she has never smoked a cigarette or even had a drink of wine. Irrelevant to my point here but just to summarize things up for everyone, She, even being on hospice other than the actual symptoms of what she is on hospice for she is still ready to get out of bed and walk to church. of course not really but if she wernt so weak from being practcally bed ridden. I would'nt put it past her.   im some what bothered by the fact that hospice is just letting her wither away. they obviously have no purpose in treating or even preventing the worst from actually happening. So with all that being said, when she went to her doctor the last time before he put her on hospice for the inability to strive they came out for not even a full week a nurse came out recommended the doctor for the hospice company come take a look at her and his observation was she did not need no such care at the time, so within another week her abdomen started to show some sort of development almost like she were kinda pregnant but it was more like a possible tumor, so we took her to the ER they kept her for 2 days then  they sent her back home on hospice with a diagnosis of endometrial cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, OR gastric cancer. She has had a rare type of cancer called karposi sarcoma, which has got to the point of her legs from the knee down are completely black and blistered making it hard for her to walk . she is still on hospice, and I don't understand the process of what they are making her go through, I can deal with it being her time to go but at the same time it almost seems that the meaning of just making her comfortable doesn't even seem to be the case. She has some fluid build up on her left side of her body. her arm and hand are  to the point of it looks like her whole hand has become one big blister waiting to burst. literally! Her neck started to swell yesterday and really worried me so i called the nurse and asked her what I should do she didnt really give me any instruction she just said she couldnt make it out till morning I told her if she didn't get someone out to take a look at it i was going to call 911 she said no she would make sure someone would be out within the half hour. when she got here all she said was that it was to be expected  and that she needed to keep shifting from side to side and it would go down. which it did by morning time with the instructions givin but it just worries me because I cant seem to get a straight answer on what is causing her body to retain fluid like it is. one says its her liver another says its her kidney,  she is still completely sane and other than the fact that she isnt givin any treatment she is fine I hate to think that  there might be something we could do for her but because of her being on hospice and inable to get in and out of bed on her own they claim there isnt anything we can do for her. when I havent even seen an xray and having power of attorney I think I should be able to make something happen, but i worry for her sake it may be too much to run her back and forth to the doctor until we get it figured out or even give any type of procedure due to her age. does anyone have any suggestions
I know this post is old but here goes anyway!------------

There are good restaurants and bad restaurants, just as there are good hospices, and bad hospices. Bad hospices are the result of the people working there that make them inadequate at best. Special places in hell are reserved for people who deliberately work in hospice environments who really have no business being there in the first place. They know who they are. it's a shame that people end up in them, but some people have only strangers to rely on, as they no longer have any family to help them. It's a  very sad and unfortunate reality.
           shinty