Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Abnormal PAP smear

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Abnormal PAP smear

I am 22 years old and received abnormal PAP smear results on the PAP I got last year.  I then had a colposcopy (which came back normal) and a PAP smear six months later (which also came back normal).  

My question is, what can cause an abnormal PAP smear?  Is HPV the only cause?  My husband is the only sexual partner I've ever had and I'd like to know if any abnormal PAP smear ensures that I had an STD.  Are there other causes?

Thanks very much.
most abnormal PAPs are due to the HPV infection. You could've gotten it years ago and IF your hubby had it he wouldn't have had ANY symptoms w/ high risk HPV (low cause visible symptoms..ie warts) HPV is transmitted thru ANY skin to skin sexual contact (penetration isn't necessary) Find out if your doc tested you for HPV..docs won't test for HPV if you're under 30 or 35 yrs unless you get an abnormal PAP.
it's VERY likely to have an abnormal pap from a lot of things besides HPV.  HPV itself won't cause an abnomal pap, it's what happens to the cervical cell tissue when you have HPV or have had it for a long time that causes abnormal paps... but like I said, it's not the only cause by any means.  

Vaginal or Yeast infections can cause it, douching, intercourse 24 hours or less before appointment, as well as just something unknown or error in the test.  It's just a screening test and it's common to have error.  

The question would be more accurately answered if you told us what was found to be abnormal... ASUS, LGSIL, Dysplasia, HGSIL, etc.  And if you had the coposcopy within a month or two of the abnormal pap and it showed nothing... likely it had nothing to do with HPV.  

If it was caused by HPV it wouldn't be anything to worry about.  It's not a sign of infidelity or anything... it's a skin infection that effects 80% of sexually active people, most have NO symptoms.

Just keep doing yearly paps and you'll be fine.
Hi. Im 39 years old. I just had my pap smear result and it came with ASC-US. I done my Gardasil vaccine shot at 2009. And always did pap smear routine yearly. My previous pap smear result is at 2012 it came normal. I have concern now because I just have new partner and we didnt used condoms in between our intercourse and I had oral sex to him too. My question is: is hpv makes my pap smear became abnormal wich is ASC-US? IN FACT I already done my vaccine and it was Gardasil. Im afradi with wartz or whatsoever. And I did oral sex too. Im scared as I read on internet that hpv can make throat or head cancer if we do oral sex? Please advice. PS: I do appointment to meet my doc but still waiting as my period not done yet.