Abnormal Pap Smear with high risk hpv
I am wondering about my abnormal pap smear that I got results on this morning.  This is not the first time that I have had a abnormal pap smear but it is the first time anyone has said anything about High-Risk HPV are these related with one another and what does this mean for me?

Thank you for your time and help.
yes, HPV is the causitive factor for cervical cancer (99.8%). Mild dervical dysplasia can be caused by either low risk or high risk HPV however moderate and severe cervical dysplasia (as well as cancer obviously) is caused by high risk strains of genital HPV. It is important to know that having cervical dysplasia (or even high risk HPV) does not mean one will develop cervical cancer it just means that there is the possibility for it to occur. (in case you are not aware, 80% of people will have at least one active infection of HPV by the time they are 50 just most will never have any idea as they will usually clear the virus (dormant) without any ill effects.)
What were the results of your smear? Are you being referred for a colposcopy?