Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Abnormal Paps for 3 years now

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Abnormal Paps for 3 years now

Hello there-

I have been in and out of my OBGYN's office for the past three years because of abnormal pap smears.  I've been diagnosed and then told to wait a little.  Then after we waited she performed a LEEP.  After that I had one normal test and now it's abnormal again.  I've been with the same man for 3 years and we "double up" because i'm afraid of contracting HPV again.  My doctor keeps assuring me everything is fine but when each of your pap smears come back with "high grade" on them it's tends to worry a person.

My last pap was 3 months ago and it was abnormal.  She wanted to wait 3 month before looking at it again which is in January.  I'm wondering if I should get another pap from a different office to see if the same think keeps happeneing.  Please advise me of how i should handle this situation or if there are questions I should be asking her during my next visit.

Thanks so much.
First thing is that you can't get the same strain of virus again especially when you are in a monogamous relationship as such there wouldn't be any benefit using protection etc... What you are dealing with is probably a recurrance of the same hpv infection that either was not completely treated or you have a weakend response of immune system that could be caused by any factors like smoking, stress, anxiety, bad diet, lack of excercise & good sleep etc etc... Getting the treatment doesn't necessarily mean that you got rid of the virus but the infections caused by the virus... Although the recurrances are not that common but the virus can really be triggered during pregnancies... An idea of colposcopy would be great so that your gyn can have a closer examination of the cervix and treat each infected area...