Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Blood test and HPV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Blood test and HPV

I want to know if a blood donation center's test for STD's covers testing for HPV. This is very important to me because my bf gets tested by them but, I have heard that it does not tell if you have HPV. I know HPV is very dangerous and even if I were to have a Gardisil (preventative vaccine for HPV) I would still be at risk for HPV because it does not cover but 2 of the over 700 known versions of HPV (per my GYN)

Also, as far as guys goes why do they not do a penile test for HPV? I know they only do that for them if they have possible HPV warts.

I would like a PA or a Medical Doctor's advice only . Thank you!!

You may post your question on STD expert forum for an answer from Medical expert/ doctor paying 15$... please use the link below to connect to export forum:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/116

... but the information you are seeking is very basic:

No, blood donation centers don't test for hpv and they don't have to cause hpv is not a blood virus but it's a skin virus...

Gardisil prevents you from 4 strains of hpv (2 low risk & 2 high risk)... these 2 low risk strains are responsible of 90% of wart infection and the other 2 are responsible of 90% of cervical cancer cases... currently, there are almost 100 known strains of hpv virus not 700...
correction:

the 2 high risk strains prevented by the vaccination are responsbile for 70% of cervical cancer cases...
I'm pretty sure my GYN said over 700 known. Thank you so much for replying! I really appreciate it all. I have decided to just go into a testing center.

My BF is actually a Doctor and said over %90 of those virus' your body gets rid of by itself. I still think he needs to be getting tested. But, he is a man afterall.. sometimes some of them don't listen. Doctors shouldn't doctor themselves!

thanks again!
I agree with Naveed, there are over 100 strains of HPV but not all of them affect the genitals; only about 30 strains are genital HPV and Gardasil vaccinates against 4 of them - the most aggressive strains. There isn't an FDA approved HPV test for men, only women, so unfortunately your boyfriend couldn't be tested for it anyways.
I wouldn't think of HPV as 'very dangerous' it is extremely common (80% of people will have an active infection by the time they are 50) and the majority of the population will clear an active infection with no ill effects. For some they may develop warts if they have a low risk and some women may develop cervical, vaginal or vulvar dysplasia/cancer if their immune system is unable to fight off an active infection. HPV does have very real risks for some people but the percentage of women that will actually develop cervical cancer from it is low.
Yeah, sounds about like what he was saying. There is a ton of fear that goes into it though and as a woman who wants her system to actually be working to produce children in the next few years... I have concerns!

Thank you so much for your reply!