Can I be infected w/multiple strains?
Hello. I am 38 year old female. When I was 18 I was diagnosed with low risk HPV when I developed warts. They went away fairly quickly and I have never had a recurrence. All of my pap tests have been normal until now. I was just told yesterday that I have high risk HPV. I am so confused by all of the info on this disease. Did the strain I have mutate? Have I been re-infected?I have been with my husband since October of 94. I thought back then that I could only infect someone if I had the actual warts. I didn't get much info on the disease. In the beginning we had safe sex and I was honest with him from the beginning about the HPV. Obviously after all these years we do not have safe sex and so now I have given it to him. Could the initial strain I gave him been given back to me changed and that is why I am now high risk? I don't understand. Could he have had it too and not know and given me the strain he had? I am so confused. Any info would be helpful.
Yes, you can be infected with multiple strains. Most people are.  IMO, your husband had the high risk strain and infected you with it. There is no test for men and since the high risk strains produce no warts, he had no idea he had it.  Your low risk strain did not mutate. That's impossible. He has both now, if you agree with some that the virus never really goes away.
It happened to me but within 3 years of the first diagnose. I t can be anything, either it could be given by your hussband or it can be  theprevious virus you had before. Do you have warts this time? as you were told years ago the strains which cause genital warts are considered as low risk, so if you don't have warts this time, possibly you were reinfected. It doesn't mean your husband cheated on you, this virus can be in your body for years before showing up something.
Relax, sleep well, eat well and do what the doctor recommends.
Thank you so much for the info. I wish the info on this disease wasn't so confusing.
No warts this time. Different strain all together. Thanks for the info.