Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Can I still Have Children?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Can I still Have Children?

I am a 19 year old female who is scared out of her mind. I was 4 months pregnant when i found out i had HPV and not even a week later on Thanksgiving Day i ended up having a spontanious misscarriage. I woul dlike to be come a mother when i get older, someone told me that is was impossible to become pregnant or even carry to full term if i do concieve (conceive)... Please help. I also been having pain in my lower abdomen like little waves of shock. could it just be im ovulation or does it have anything to do with the HPV?
what that someone told u is a generalized bit of hogwash.What was the medical cause of the miscarriage?Many women...and they have posted here....get HPV get it taken care of and go on2 have healthy babies.Ovulation can cause abdominal discomfort..sure did with me...but if u have medical concerns u need to go back to ur gyno and address them.Are they watching the HPV to see if it goes away?do u hafta have a LEEP?Even if u do hafta have LEEP again many women heal up and have children!
Hey Jennifer, Thought I would let you know that I have HPV type16 which is one of the high risk that causes 70% of all cervical cancer :-/ even though i have HPV i have a beautiful 18mos old baby girl and I didn't have any complications during pregancy or @ childbirth. My sister who is 27 also has HPV but another type that cause 90% of warts and she has 2 beautiful children and had no complications. her little boy was in the hospital for a few days but it had nothing to do w/that.Its common to have a miscarriage if its your first baby I read up on that a lot. if you get a menstrual cycle and especially if its reg you have a good chance of having another baby and going full term. if theres anything else going on in there or if you feel there is go back to your doc. =-) good luck
I have been going through the same issues, being recently diagnosed with the high risk cancer causing HPV.  Do not worry, just keep up with your papsmears and the doctors will prevent anything major from occuring.  I just got off the phone with my doctor for the 2nd time and he informed me that 50% of women have the high risk type, so that doesn't mean half the female race can't have kids (imagine!--the world would end)......so don't worry.  Stress can make things worse, but if you are educated about the virus, than you will know you are ok....just like with anything, keep up with your doctor.
good luck.
I have high risk HPV, I have never heard about HPV affecting ability to have children because it really only affects the cervix (low risk types affect vulva). don't worry.
i am 19 years old and i just found out i have hpv. dont be so hard on yourself or get stressed out about it because you can still have children. eventhough there is so cure it can go away on its own. but does'nt affect your chances of having a baby. just go to the doc and get your paps test as the doc directed you to and you will be fine. Good Luck!
i have high risk hpv and i was diagnosed with it after i had my two children, i have read on websites for the hpv virus that having hpv. can cause you to have a misscarrage. but after reading all of your posts i don't know how true that one is. thank GOD. i have also herd that hpv can be passed on to your children if you deliver vaganily, i don't know how ture that is too. but i do know is you can fight it. you can boost your immune system to fight the hpv. i was told by the doc that some hpv can and will go away on its own. and it could take up to 18 months to 2 years, but it will go away on its own unless it develops into cancer. i am doing my best to not think about that one. but take vitamins with antioxidants and omega-3's and a molti vitamin and a prenatal vitamins and eat about 8-10 walnuts which they have done studies that help a lot and not to mention they help lower your cholesterol. i hope this helps.
i just found out that i have hpv not with wart but it shows signs of changes in my cervix more than likely not canerous is it true that it will go away on it own and can i have babies without giving it to my partner
some type of hpv will go away on its own. but you will want to keep an eye on it. go in for regular check ups depending on how offten your doctor tells you to go in. but if there shows signs of changes in your cervix than there might be a chance it can turn canerous. but i am not that sure on that. i am sure you can and will still have babies. but how ever now that you have been tested positive for hpv i would assume that you could give it to your partner.
i am a 22 years old woman and i recently found out that i have HPV since i got my pap smear wit a lisl(low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions) ... like 3 days from now i have my corposcoy and cervical biopsy which so unconfortable ... the doct told me that i have the hpv cause by genital warts and that it will go away by its own , she told me not to be get worried and that it was normal, now i just have to wait for the results from the biopsy but no matter how many timee i stop not to think bout it im still nervous and scared cuz i dont know if will be develop cancer later on in the future and i dont want to a discarried... my husband and i we decided to concieved a baby now, and i wanna know if i will get a complication after all ... and theres something if i have Hpv da means my husband has it, the doct told me if i have it da means he has it too.... and if we both have it  could this affect us not to concieved?
i have genital hepes and a high risk of hpv..(double whammy) i am 29 yrs old,,and a mother of an 11 yr old. My last relationship is where i apparently got these 2 diseases, which i'm still astonished! i've had surgery in 2002 where i was completely clueless of hpv,,,now only to find out recently my obgyn (stated that my warts are apparently there again!) And we all know that that can be CANCEROUS!,,which for me is a nightmare!
Prior to being in a relationship for almost 4.5 yrs, i was disease free! with a helathy sexual appetitie, now things have truly slowed down drastically...Now my obgyn wants me to come back 6mths from now,,(y,,to see if it's worsen or not) then we go from there...
I still have hopes to finding that 1,,but skeptical, who wants someone who's been given all these diseases? AND the fact that i must use safe sex measures for the REST of my life,,and i'm again only 29!
"now only to find out recently my obgyn (stated that my warts are apparently there again!) And we all know that that can be CANCEROUS!,,which for me is a nightmare! "

If you have genital warts, you have low risk HPV which is NOT CANCEROUS.  If your doctor told you, you have cervical dysplasia/cell changes/etc. that may become cancerous, then you have high risk HPV as well (meaning you have at least 2 different strains).  But if you haven't been diagnosed with the latter and only with warts, then you only have low risk HPV, which isn't dangerous in the slightest.

Also, having genital herpes doesn't mean you have to use safe sex measures for the rest of your life, I have many friends with herpes whose (uninfected) partners have decided to not use protective measures.  It's a decision you and your partner(s) will have to make.  There are still ways to do this and not infect your partner.  And many people with herpes go on to have completely normal, fulfilling relationships with uninfected partners.  And HPV goes away in the majority of healthy individuals, so that isn't even an issue in future relationships past a certain point, typically since it no longer even needs to be disclosed (because you can't transmit it anymore).  The herpes board can educate you even further with all herpes matters, too, they know tons there!

And to the original poster, you can still have babies and conceive.  I have a friend who had part of her cervix removed to a LEEP procedure, so she will have to be on bed rest towards the end of her pregnancy, but having HPV does not usually affect fertility and definitely does not rob you of your ability to have children.
i was diagnosed with herpes 1 a year ago..now 5 months ago i found out i have hpv..the high risk one that causes cancer..yet i want children but am afraid to  let another man touch me..this is for mjodel it is hard to date with this..ive been on std dating sites thats how im moving on..im talking to a few guys who have an std an it is helping me get through it
Hi Jennifer

Im 21 yrs old and I've had HPV for 1yr and a half going on two. I'm curious like you are about if were still able to have kids even though we have that! I found out that I had that 2-3 weeks after I delivered my 4 yr old. I've be having really bad pains in my pelvis area and it gets worse when I start my period. I get colposcopies after colpos done every 6 months and they tell me that I'm ok but every time I go bacl to my private doctor I get my paps and they always come back abnormal. If only there was someone out there that can help me with what I really feel. Seriously My question is if we are still able to have kids? Who will really know the answer to my question because I will like to have a beautiful baby girl without complications or it dosent matter really but have more kids period.
HPV itself does not affect a woman's ability to become pregnant or maintain a pregnancy. HPV can however cause dysplasia of the cervix (as well as vagina and vulva) which if moderate or severe can require medical intervention (usually removed by LEEP or cone biopsy) For the most part a woman can have a LEEP or cone biopsy without any complications but for a few they can develop an incompetent cervix which can lead to early labour. It is easily taken care of by a cerclage (a stitch put in your cervix to keep it closed during pregnancy). If you ever do require a LEEP or CB, then when you do become pregnant you will need to inform your doctor so that they can monitor your cervix. Another rare complication is cervical stenosis (shrinking of the cervical canal) which can occur for less than 5% of women who have received a cervical surgery and if it does occur it is usually only in women who have had a cone biopsy.
Have you obtained a copy of your medical records? I suggest this be your next step. I wonder if the reason that your paps continue to come back as abnormal and your colposcopies not show anything significant is really actually coming back as mild dysplasia (CIN1). Most doctors will not treat CIN1 because 90% of the time a woman is able to rid the dysplasia on her own without any medical treatment. The more surgeries on the cervix the higher the possibility of future complications during a pregnancy. Do you know if you doctor has performed an ecc (endocervical curettage) during any of the colposcopies? This is a sampling from high up in the endocervix because this area cannot be viewed during a colpscopy. I would check to see if this has been done, if not I would ask for one if you received another abnormal pap.
I understand your fear, I have always been good with children, none of my own yet at 35, recently got confirmed CIN 1 HPV dysplasia, and my gyn stated that I will not be able to get pregnat safely for at least a year and a half, so by the time my body will be free to get pregnant I will be 37 and kind of makes me sad, since I know will be very difficult to get a safe pregnancy. I have always been extremely regular on my period, so I understand it is nothing to do with the HPV messing with my cycle, still there are many concerns about the future and that makes me anxious, I do not have any experiences on having babies while HPV but I have read alot lately about this matter and seems like if you wish it you can make it happen, what I would say is that after all, most of the pregnancies are to be taken care and pampered and since we all here know we have been already exposed to HPV the plus I think would be that you are more aware and in the knowledge than other women around who saddly are still in the un-aware stituation.
Wish you the best and all the health!
Hi there, you may or may not already know this but I thought I would throw it own there just in case. The reason why a woman should wait to become pregnant when there is either an active HPV infection or cervical dysplasia is because pregnacy tends to create an environment for HPV and dysplasia to thrive because her immune system is down. It can quickly cause a mild CIN1 dysplasia to progress and even for some women it can cause dysplasia to develop into invasive cancer prior to delivering the baby. Most doctors prefer not to treat dysplasia during the pregnancy because of possible complications from it, like miscarriage or infection, etc.
Do you know if you are still testing postive for HPV? The faster an infection is cleared the easier it is for you body to rid itself of mild dysplasia. Hopefully with a healthy lifestyle (exercise, lots of cruiciferous vegetables, low stress) and strong immune system you can clear any active HPV infection you might currently have and rid yourself of the dysplasia quickly!
Thank you for your posting, I did not know the reason but totally understand it now!. Seems perfectly right!.
I just got tested positive, just got confirmed last week. so I am a newbie on this and trying to gather as much info as I can, since it is the baby part which makes me sadder of all the consecuences.
Thank you for your words! I am finding extremely difficult to relax eventhough I know it is a must...still living the freaked out moment. Again thank YOU!. ;) good health to you!
I am so glad my words were of some help to you!! I truly understand the frustrations of wanting to be come pregnant but being told you can't. Can I suggest another site for you to check out? It it sponsored by the National Cervical Cancer And HPV Coalition; many of the women on it are members of the NCC and HPV board and attend many of the conferences so there is plenty of accurate information, (not to mention the most up to date research) and really supportive people there. I highly recommend it. Best wishes to you!

http://www.inspire.com/groups/national-cervical-cancer-coalition/
Thank you very much for the link I will read on!. Hugs!
im 22 years old and i just found out i have hpv ,even though i was blessed with two beautiful girls who are completely healthy thank god
but i worry everyday that im gonna get cancer especially because cancer runs in my family..i don't even know how this happened..i would  have never thought it would be me..it's very scary for me i worry a lot
OK im 19 me n my husband jus recently got married were r tryin to have a baby but wen i was 15 i found out i had hpv ive been goin to da docs and im doin good but since i started my peroids ive never had a regular one and after i turned 15 its gotten worse now its been 4 years since i had an actual period da only way to get one is to use birth control and idk wat to do yes i am overweight but not to da point ukno and there r girls ive seen out there biger n they have kids i dnt think it fair i hate it so much n me i want a big fam so i want to get started so idk some one plz tell me wat to do plzzzzzzz
hi i was wondering if males could still have kid plz someone tell me????
Hi everyone.
Well I'm 19 years old and just yesterday I found out I have HPV. that same day I had to have a Colposcopy and a cervical biopsy, which made me really scared. As soon as I got home I started reading up on HPV and it all made me worried about my 18 mo. daughter. I take showers with her all the time and there's been occasions where she's touched my down there, is there a chance that she could have gotten it or by also sharing towels with her?. I'm more worried about her than i am about me... please help!!
No need to worry, you can't pass on HPV via towels or showers etc. It's mainly through sex.
I'm. 17 and I have hpv but it went away I got it when I was 15 just pray for the best and put god first I feel how you feel to I want a baby and me and my boyfriend been workinq on it for goin a year and I still haven't got pregnant but it just takes time
I just found out I have hpv high risk and got to get a biopsy. Next week to see if it turned. To cancer. Or not yet and you all helped. Me a lot about everything. I'm scared. Cuz I have two kids already. So I'm scared. If I have cancer hoping. Not and also me and my other was hoping. To have another. Baby and I was scared. I wasn't going to be able to but after reading all your coments. You guys shined. A light for me thank you and now I just got to hope the biopsy. Gos we'll and hope for the best
I am 25 years old and I've been diagnosed with HPV two days ago.The scary part is I'm in a new relationship,and I don't know how to tell him because I still don't understand the virus...help
i have vin stage 3,hpv will always be in my body,and iv had many ops,leading to a partial vulvectomy,but what gets me the most is being told that theres a high chance iv passed it onto my baby as i was pregnant with him when i found out,can anyone offer any advice or info as to how i go about having my son tested?
I am sure you are a beauty queen and just to be safe get a sea section to protect your beautiful babies have a nice day
I am 19 years old i was informed about a year ago that i have hpv. I was also worried about the possibility of not being able to have kids, so i hope all of you are right. It has been something i have stressed over, its nice to know im not alone.
I am a man with hpv and me and my wife are trying to have a baby, is my hpv hindering this?
If your pap detects that hpv has cleared does that means it's gone completely? and your not contagious? Or just that it's dormant? Is there still a possibility of passing it on?
Hi my name is Carlie, im soon to b 19 in december, and i was recently diagnosed with HPV in august. I do not know what kind it is but i do know its not genetial warts. Ever since I was about 15 or 16 ive had on and off abnormal pap smears, but it wasnt until now that i was informed that i actually have HPV. Does this mean ive always had it since ive actually had abnormal paps before? Also i wasnt even informed what kind it was they just told me to keep an eye on it and get another pap in the next 4 months. So does that mean its not a severe case? Please help me im still scared!
thank you all for the views.
you have really inspired me and put strength in me . i had lost hope because i was diagonised with hpv4 1.5yrs back .that hpv brings warts which comes in ounce amonth sometimes takes 5months without appearing.my worry was that my life span had been limited and that i couldnt be able to get akid.after taking long without being in arelationship i got another man , we have not yet had sex with him and he is far miles away from me but i fear to confess that i have hpv because he will leave me.the relationship is now 2yrs old.am 28yrs and without any kid.
i just found out i have hpv 16,will i still be able to have children? will i be able to have them natural?
@laceb88: no, must be another problem. No relation at all between HPV and infertility

@wonderwhatsnext: it's not gone completely. When your tests come back normal, it means your antibody has succeeded to force the virus to lay dormant. When your HPV has stayed dormant, most of the times it'll stay dormant for the rest of your life. There's a chance that it might come back years later but this chance is rare, like probably only on 1 out of 100 people or even less, no data about this..

However, having a dormant HPV status means that you should not be contagious anymore

@car1992149: can you tell us more about your sexual past history? If you have had one boyfriend (and he loyal to you), you shouldn't get abnormal pap smear on and off for 3 years...

@jojo643: what you can do is to wait. If you have been wart-free for 6 months or better wait for 8 months, then you can consider yourself cleared up. By then you shouldn't be contagious any longer. And no, HPV has no relation at all with infertility. That's bull sh!t.

90% of people clear up their HPV infection within 2 years. You have been through this for 18 months, it's not unusual. Just keep waiting and live healthy. Also, you said sometimes the warts came back after 5 months without any symptoms. That seemed odd to me, you should go to a specialist every time you have a new suspected-wart. Most people, like myself, when we were diagnosed with genital warts, we often started to over-analyzing everything. Means even a bacterial infection from unhygienic shaving blade could be misdiagnosed as genital wart. You have to ask an expert and get a biopsy to make sure they are genital warts instead of something else that you misdiagnosed.

@cleveland85602: yes you can.
Hi everyone, I am 23 years old. I just found out earlier this week that I have HPV. I dont have any children yet, but I have heard that after freezing the cancer cells and removing them, the chances of having children are low. I really want children, I love children and it would kill me if I was told that I cant have any :( Can someone please help me. Oh and I am very irregular in my cycle, I have gone 2 months without and there are times when I get 2 in 1 month.
Hi Erika-

You've heard wrong. I've never heard any link between any treatment of HPV and a detrimental effect on the ability to have kids. You can ask the experts if you like (in the Doctor forums), but I really think that you will have kids one day, and in all likelihood, be a very enthusiastic and good mom :).

Rest easy, you'll be able to have kids.
I also have high risk HPV and just found out i'm pregnant, does this mean I will develop cancer from my hpv now that I am pregnant.