Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Can get HPV (warts) through contact with semen?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

I know HPV (genital warts) can be passed on by direct contact with infected areas, but what about semen?

What if the guy never touches the girl, but only his semen touches the girl's skin?
the docs in this forum would most likely say low probability but minutely possible.....hpv transmission is genital to genital......penetration cuz HPV thrives in dark moist airtight places....even tho it can go thru the skin and i would think that semen would be wiped off rather quickly unless person swallowed it!
Thanks for your reply.

So wiping the semen off the skin (not vagina or mouth) makes it better? But there's still going to be semen left even if you wipe it, unless you shower directly after. Right?

It seems like from reading the replies and general information, all sexual contact is off; well more specifically that ALL kinds sexual contact, no matter how subtle, COULD lead to HPV trasmission (with varying degrees).

So even a simple handjob? Like there's a possibility that I could pass HPV warts from my penis to her hand? Just like that? (even if she doesn't touch herself afterwards)
did u read my other reply to u?yes there is a minute possibility that the virus could pass from ur skin to hers....she wouldn't get warts on her hands.....but could end up with them on her genital area since HPV lives in skin....main method of transmission is genital...skin against skin in genital area.Genital warts are strains 6 and 11 with HPV.....all others go take up residence on the cervix.
wiping semen off could rub some in2 skin....and forgot to ask what r u treating these warts with?what does ur doctor advise?
Doctor didn't prescribe anything as the warts didn't seem severe. They were a bit of redness on the shaft, not lumpy, just flat, and went away in about 2 weeks.
Then came back once more a few months later for same duration. That's the history of it.

My girlfriend says she'll get the HPV vaccine before we do anything, but that's going to take 6 months for the entire process.

So prior to the 6 months, I should not do any genital to skin contact of any sort right?

So should I tell my girlfriend not to give me even a handjob then? I guess it's all about how much we are willing to risk, I get that, but I still have no idea of just how risky it is. I don't know what to base my decision on.

Is getting a handjob more risky than having protected sex with condom? Hmm

What sexual activities am I morally aloud to do with my girlfriend?
what sexual activities u and ur girlfriend decide to do is up 2 u....its not a matter of morals.....its a matter of risking her picking this up from u!even wearing a condom doesn't  prevent her from getting warts for the virus is in ur skin areas surrounding penis and she can still pick it up from unprotected areas not covered by a condom.....handjob would be less risky but transmission always possible.so u and ur doctor r waiting for the warts to go away on their own?
Well the warts are already gone....I never meant I had them still. (but yes i know it's still in my system somewhere)

What I mean is I don't know what to base my decision on because,  while some things may be risky, it could still be uneccessary since the risk is so minute. Like as if I never get into cars because there's a risk I could crash and die. It's silly.

Is, say, getting worried about tramitting the virus through a handjob ridiculous along those lines?
it is said that the body can clear hpv wart virus in 6-12 months....given a healthy immune system...smoking if u do may suppress it...good that these warts r gone off ur skin!and nice that u have concern for ur girlfriends health....worrying about transmitting virus thru handjob yes a tad ridiculous.....and the docs say using condoms reduces the risk 60-90%....very frustrating with this damn hpv that the exact error margin is unknown....so these r decisions between the 2 of u...and good that ur concrned and will take precautions..its all one can do!