HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS (HPV)
COMMUNITY
Can my child get hpv or rrp from me ?
by Julia2010, Feb 17, 2010
Ok this may sound like a far fetched question... take into consideration, i also have some kind of ocd/health anxiety for my children mostly.

I was diagnosed with hpv genital warts 10 years ago, and had one outbreak and had it treated, and have never seen warts since. I have an 11 yr old daughter, and a 9 mo old son. I had a csection due to emergency with him.

My question is... i usually wash and sanitize my hands OFTEN, but may forget sometimes, and im worried that if i forgot to wash my hands after touching, or scratching myself ( i know tmi sorry ) and put my hands near babys mouth or felt for teeth while hes teething , if he can catch oral hpv or RRP in his mouth,  or if i change his diaper without washing my hands forgetting if i touched myself if i can pass it to him that way. Im such a paranoid mom, and please dont make fun of my concerns ppl :( one more thing is ive also bathed with my son twice when he was small.

Id just hate to pass this on to my kids, and need some kinda reassurance, or info.. there is so much conflicting research on the net about RRP and HPV, and it has me freaked out.. i think i should stop googling!!!!
Member Comments (12)
by mayflowers, Feb 17, 2010
You can't give your kids hpv from the methods you are describing.   It's an STD and can't be contracted non-sexually.  Besides, alot of people don't wash their hands before touching their kids, and if HPV was so easily transmitted non-sexually, then all kids would have HPV.   Not to say that they won't get warts but they won't get the STD HPV warts from the methods you're describing.  

Try and relax.  This is small stuff!  

by Julia2010, Feb 17, 2010
K i kinda thought so too, but was freakin myself right out all of a sudden.

for some reason i thought i was in the doctor forum... till i realized i had to pay for that... i know i should totally learn to chill.. :( im on zoloft, but it doesnt help a whole lot .. so im planning to talk to the dr.. most the time he looks at me like.. " you are crazy" over my health worries. ty for your reply, made me feel a lot better.
by mayflowers, Feb 17, 2010
Dr's hear so much every day, I think they start to get a little jaded after a while.  You're not crazy.    I'm sure with 2 kids you get enough exercise anyway but it wouldn't hurt to do something fun like tennis or swimming to help ease the anxiety.  Yoga is good for relaxation too.  Try to find an outlet if possible.  

You're fine.  Hope you feel better soon...
by Julia2010, Feb 17, 2010
Good idea.. i should try those kinds of things ... seems like great stress relievers, and good to keep my mind off things.

ty :)
by Curiousity2Know, Feb 18, 2010
Cast your cares onto the lord and he will sustain you. I use to live like that until I strongly believed in that verse. RRP is extremely rare and plus you are clear from hpv and gw at least the particuliar strain you had.
by Julia2010, Feb 25, 2010
I like that verse !! :) ill keep that in mind.
by Pinky317, Oct 26, 2011
I'm also worried about my 3yr old daughter because I was told a baby can get it through the birth canal and have it in the throat which will block the airway I want to speak wit her doctor to see if she can be tested for this. Also you mention that you haven't had a break out in about 10yrs I wonder if the virus just disappear with a healthy immune system? I haven't had one in years either but they say its not cure..
by csk1127, Oct 26, 2011
so glad to see this post bc i have two kids myself and i was just diagnosed yesterday and i've been almost scared to touch my kids... my 5 yr old just asked me to put some cream on his pee pee cause it was itching and i was scared to touch him scared i would pass this horrible thing on to him bc i have an active wart right now i couldn't live with myself if that were to happen... and how do u bathe without spreading this as of right now i have one on my inner thigh  in the crease beside my genital and i'm so scared that i'm going to spread it bathing myself
by LightningF, Oct 28, 2011
Julia, you said that you havent had any wart recurrence anymore ever since you got treated, i would assume you have been wart free for 9-10 years, then why are you worrying?

Facts;
1. You cant contract HPV to your child, only through sexual activities
2. If you have been wart-free for years, you cant even infect your own sexual partner as your antibody has taken care of the virus for you
3. You MUST know that washing your hands way too much with hand sanitizer would only do harm for your skin. Dont do it excessively