Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Can my husband get tested for HPV before we start having unprotected se...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Can my husband get tested for HPV before we start having unprotected sex?

I have no real reason to think he has it, other than that it's very common. I know that I don't have it as I always have normal PAP smears. Is there any way to test him for it so I can have peace of mind?

Also, is it possible to contract genital HPV by ingesting semen? What I mean is, can the virus enter the blood stream via the oral cavity and then manifest itself in the genital region? Or does it need direct contact in order to take root? I am aware that genital HPV can manifest in the mouth in the form of sores, what I don't know is if it can migrate from there to the genitals without direct contact.
well 1 you can go get the vaccine. that will help protect you. 2 your husband can be a carrier and so can yourself. hpv sometimes does not show up for years after you came in contact with it. it is possible to get forms of the virus orally, but speak with your doctor with any concerns you have on this subject. you can even call you gyno and talk to a nurse. they are always there to help.

n just to let you know i found out i have hpv when i was 19 and was rid of it by the time i was 22. so if you do get it your body can fight it and get rid of it.

n another fact 5.5 million people contract this virus a year.
There is no test for men. If your husband has been sexually active before, he has likely contracted HPV, but because the infection is usually cleared in less than 24 months, he may not have it now.

The same applies to you. Your PAP is not an HPV test. It tests for changes to the cervix caused by HPV. A assymptomatic cervical, or non-cervical infection will result in a normal PAP. Most people with HPV have normal PAPs. These infections, however, are not risky.

HPV is a skin infection that is transmitted by skin to skin contact. It wont from one area of the body to another through your blood. There is a small risk of acquiring oral HPV from oral sex, but this is less common than the genital infection.

well i do comment on your post because HPV makes the cells in your cervix abnormal. thats what the virus does to women. if you were diagnosed with HPV and then later had a normal pap is because your body has gotten rid of the virus. when you get the pap they can test for HPV...they do it from the samples they take during the test.

HPV is a skin infection but it is a mucous membranes infection as well it affects both. it CAN be transmitted through oral sex as well as genital to genital contact. when they say skin to skin they dont mean like sitting next to someone and touching them. here i will post my find here so you can read for yourself.

Answering the question "How is HPV transmitted?", the first point to be considered is the sexual transmission. It is well-known that HPV is one of the most common sexually transmitted infections in the world. Genital HPV infection is associated with different diseases like genital warts (condylomas) and cervical dysplasia. In most cases genital HPV infection is not accompanied by obvious symptoms and HPV-infected people usually spread it unknowingly. Even condoms cannot provide very effective protection.

Some people asking the question "How is HPV transmitted?" are very surprised when they learn that HPV infection may be spread through oral contacts. It is primarily related to oral sex. It was found out that a high number of oral HPV infections are associated with genital types of HPV. At the same time, the transmission through mouth-to-mouth contacts is not excluded. It should be noted that a strong immune defense in the oral cavity usually doesn’t let HPV infection develop, that is why oral HPV-induced lesions are not very common.  
You are not correct.

A cervical HPV infection may make the cervical cells abnormal. If a woman has a HPV infection on her labia, the PAP will be normal. Even some cervical infections do not produce abnormal PAPs. While HPV test can be done along with the PAP, they only test the skin sampled.

look:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/HPV-Testing-woman/show/620667
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/ConfusedHPV-positive/show/513912

You want to argue with everything I post, but you are really confused. Breasts are not genitals, being in the army does not mean a man is HPV free, and having a normal PAP does not meant that you don't have HPV.

i never said that BECAUSE he was in the military he is HPV free. please show me where i said that. i said he was tested. ya know that there are a lot of test that they do in the military that they dont do on civilians and that a lot of civilians dont know about. i never said breasts are genitals that i was curious if it could be spread by breast milk and that the fluid that comes out of breasts is bodily fluids. so therefore could it be transferred to a baby that way.

you told me to read these forms...i already know that stuff....she said she had to go back for a biopsy because the virus is in her system. she still can develope abnormal paps. im sorry if i put that all women with hpv have abnormal paps. next time i will re-word things better. but if a woman has warts or any of the such on her labia she still has the virus inside her body. its not like its a freckle that she has in one place but no freckles in any other places. hpv is a virus you carry inside your body.

believe me i am a woman that has been through this for a few years now. n everything that my doctor that has told me in person is wrong according to you. and everything that is on accredited websites is wrong too according to you.

i am not trying to argue, but you just seem like you just know everything and giving out this useless advice to women that is mostly wrong. yes you are wright sometimes but a lot what you say either is very confusing or wrong. i just try to correct the wrongs and tell people to talk to a doctor.

and another thing testing for hpv requires testing your cervical cells...so its not like they can just rub your arm skin or leg skin with a cotton swab n test that. so testing for hpv is done like a pap smear. collecting cervical cells.
So if you agree that a negative PAP is not the same as HPV free, what were you correcting? I agreed that there was a small risk for oral HPV.

Is it that hpv is travels from one location to another without contact? If so, you are wrong.
wwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttttttttttt

i have no idea what you ment by that....
From my original post, what did I post that you want to correct.

Was it the HPV does not travel from one area of the body to another by blood?

Or was it something else?
i never said it traveled by blood if you read my post then you would see what i put...i dont have the time to be on here all the time to explain things to you and why you were giving out false information. thanks bye
So you didn't have any problems with that post.

I make mistakes, we all do. But you should point them out so I can learn from them and other posters can learn. You may be wrong as well, so we can look at the evidence and see which viewpoint is correct. Statements like you are giving out false information won't do forum users any good, and they won't do me any good. They are particularly useless when you admit that there really is nothing that you disagree with.

I was wondering if I was diagnosed with HPV and treated how do I no if my husband is HPV free.. I mean if there is no treatment for men then what do I have to do, have a pap every 3 months and treated because I'm getting the procedure done and nothing is being done for him..So i just get treated and then have sex and get it right back.. Are do i have to wear protection every time my husband and I have sex?  I don't get it! What do you do?
There is no test for men, but you shouldn't pass the infection back and forth. Once your immune system responds to the virus, your body will clear the infection and you will become immune to this particular type of HPV. Your husband's immune system will respond the same why.
i thought this site could help and clarify women's worries about HPV but it seems it's the other way around. my doctor says the transfer of this HPV infection from my husband to me and from me to him is possible just like ping pong that passes back and forth...which means if i will be treated with my cervical dysplasia thru cryotheraphy and be cured for a while then having sex with my husband who is the carrier of this virus is likely to transmit again the virus to me, thus again the possibility of recurrence.  the mere though of contracting again another HPV strain made me insane! the reason why i decided to just undergo total hysterectomy soon hoping this would clear all my worries and anxieties of yet another HPV infection that can possibly be contracted again.  is there anybody who can still give me advice before i jump into the decision of undergoing a total hysterectomy.  i already have 3 kids.
Your doctor is either being unclear or is outright wrong.

If your husband gave you HPV-11 (strain 11), for example, and you cleared it after some time, you would be unable to "catch" it again.  You will always have DNA related to that strain.  This happens with EVERY virus you will ever catch.  Your body attacks the virus and "records" the DNA so that it can be easily defeated in the future.  Ask your doctor to clarify, because if he's suggesting that you can catch the same strain, he's wrong.

You CAN, however, catch a different strain of HPV.  There are several of them.
i just sujet you for all of you to read this book.¨

http://www.enotalone.com/article/3576.html