Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Can you get external genital warts from a bathing suit?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Can you get genital warts from a bathing suit? And do they do a biopsy test on external genital warts or just look at them under a microsope?  Please help I have a twenty year old daughter that is a virgin and a year & a half ago she wore a bathing suit that now she finds out the girl had genital warts.  She went to the dr for a bump and he said it was skin tags now he biopsied it and says its hpv...I read there is no real tests on the biopsy and it is often misdiagnosed....thats why they don't test mens warts supposedly.  This bump has been there for a year never changed in appearance...but when she found out about the girl she freaked outl.  Now she won't stop crying because she has lost more boyfriends because she wouldn't sleep with them(no foreplay either) and now she is unconsoleable.. Please help.  She's very allergic to everything, taking allergy shots, and has had shingles at age 18 I don't think her immune system is that great.  To me it looked like the skin tag she had gotten under her bra strap on her shoulder.  Her dad family grows skin tags galore.  
It is extremely unlikely to get the hpv virus sharing the bathing suit... Usually, for a dermatologist, a visual inspection is enough to diagnose the warts but if it has a confusing appearance or is subclinical, a test would be required for confirmation... An internal wart is usually diagnosed and confirmed through biopsy... Your daughter should get rid of that wart deciding from a list of different treatment options... A genital wart is usually a result of sexual activities, either an intercourse or a simple genital to genital rubbing is enough for viral transmission... I must add here that having warts is considered normal by most of the experts... Over 80% of the population gets at least 1 strain of this virus by the time they reach the age of 50... Warts are benign (non-cancerous) and usually have no short or long term ill effects... Please go through several posts to learn more about this virus... You must get you daughter vaccinated by gardisil that will protect her against 4 strain (2 low risk & 2 high risk) of this virus... currently, your daughter has a low risk strain and she must get vaccinated to prevent for high risk strain (cancer causing)... All the way, warts are not that big deal... Just get it treated and forget it...