Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Cauterization best choice for an "extensive" case of anal war...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Cauterization best choice for an "extensive" case of anal warts?

I've got quite an "extensive" case of anal warts (according to my PCP and surgeon).  The surgeon has scheduled to cauterize them off, but has already told me they will most likely come back as I am (and always will be) on the immunosuppressive meds that caused them in the first place.  After doing some research I realize that I never sought the opinion of a proctologist.  If it's really that "extensive" then maybe cauterization is not the best option and surgery would make more sense.

On a side note, how long can I expect to be out of work following a procedure like this?
I hope you had these things checked!

I had anal warts that I left untreated for a very long time, until they became so huge it was difficult to deficate, walk, or sleep.  I was simply young, foolish, and embarassed enough to ignore it and let it get worse.  Stupid of me.  

I finally went to my doctor, who sent me to a proctologist (sp?).  I had to have them removed, as the warts turned pre-cancerous cordelomas (sp?) and they cauterized them, the area around the anus, and had to "rebuild" my anus.  Essentially, they took them off, and they had grown to about the size of a baseball, split in half (one half each side of my anus).  

This was more than 10 years ago.  I still bleed from time to time, especially with a hard big BM, but it was worth it.  It was about to go inside, in which they would have had to remove part of my rectum.