Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Chances of HPV with the use of a condom

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Chances of HPV with the use of a condom

Hi there,

I have had about 10 sexual partners in my lifetime and I used condoms with ALL of them. What are my chances of getting high-risk and low-risk HPV? Should I be alarmed if I felt little bumps around cervix (on the outer sides).
My last sexual partner was last year and stopped seeing him around this time last year. I have had normal pap smears thus far; my last one being about March of last year.
What the CDC says is that for every partner one has, the chances are 20%. So if you've had 5 partners, you have a 100% chance of being exposed to it. Basically, most doctors says that after 4 partners, you have been exposed to multiple strains. This is why the CDC says to "limit the number of partners".  Condoms provide 50-75% protection and is a good thing to do always. The chances of high risk or low risk are the same.

Look, its too late to travel to the past. All it takes is one infected partner, even if you have had only one. Given that you've had ten, you should assume it is likely but no one can tell you for sure. Keep testing yourself and hope your immune system was strong enough to kick it out. Then, stick to one partner and hope he's clean. Since men cannot be tested, they can only guess at how clean they are. Yes, you should get those bumps looked at by a GYN or dermatologist. Should you be diagnosed with it, realize it is not the end of the world. This is so common that anyone who has had sex with multiple partners should expect to have it.
"hope your immune system was strong enough to kick it out. " did you mean our immune system to suppress it?
Yeah, that is what I meant.