Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Chances of getting HPV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Chances of getting HPV

Me and my wife have an open relationship (poly) we both have a someone else that we are seeing. The woman I meet has HPV, we have not had sex. And im afraid too, Im afraid that I could get HPV from her. My wife dont have HPV, My wifes boyfriend, or or his wife dosent have HPV either.
What do I do,  what are the chances of me getting HPV and passing it to my wife? Do condoms prevent HPV 100 %, or do I need to stop seeing this woman before we become sexully active???
Avatar n tn
Your wife's boyfriend has no idea if he has HPV or not. Unless he had a visible wart (and some are not visible) removed and tested, he may have it. There is no test for men in the US. He could have been exposed elsewhere and doesn't know. Millions of men do not know. Condoms offer 50-75% protection as the virus lives on genital skin which includes thighs, butts, etc.

If that woman has it, you should avoid sex with her if you think you don't have it. But how do you know? The CDC says after 4 partners, you have a 80% chance of exposure. 5 partners, 100%. Sexually active adults have to assume they have it or will have it. Who doesn't rub thighs together when having sex?  If you continue this lifestyle, what makes you think you or your wife won't get it?  How much luck do you two have?