Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Confirmed Oral Wart, Now What?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Confirmed Oral Wart, Now What?

I hear that having an oral wart is rare, but I guess it would be that would get one. I went to the dentist yesterday day because I had this flat, smooth, white bump (looks like a abscess) on my bottom front gum line. It showed up one day and did not go away. The dentist looked at it, rubbed it, and told me I had a wart. I have scheduled to have it frozen off, and the dentist told me this was something that has become more common.

I'm making peace with the fact that I an oral wart, but I do not know anything about it. The dentist did not explain much in the way of occurrence or re-occurrence. He did not tell me what I can and can not do. (I'm sure he didn't need to state the obvious, for the money I have to pay and brief overview would be nice). The treatment is also rather expensive since I do not have insurance and I work a menial job. So as much as I am concerned about my love life, I am more concerned about my financial being.  

Everything I have read online about oral warts has been mixed at best. All I know is that I could have gotten it through oral sex with an infected person or contracted it when I kissed someone. So I will never really know when it happened exactly, since HPV can lay dormant for long period of time. I am just seeking real information. I want to make sure that I do not infect anyone else, and just be able to live around the wart.
As far as I'm aware it is very difficult to pass warts via kissing, and I'm not sure there has ever been a documented case of it.

You are right in thinking oral warts are rare, very rare in fact. It is likely that you contracted the wart through oral sex with somebody infected. You should be safe kissing, but for precautionary measures you may want to resist in engaging inunprotected oral sex whilst the wart is present, as that is the time in which you are most contagious. Your immune system should help in cleaning your body of the virus after you have it removed, and providing there is no re-occurance for 6 months you can assume that you are no longer contagious. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just based on the rarity of contracting and passing the virus in this way.
Im having the same problem went to 4 drs and they said it was nothing in my mouth till I seen a skin dr he said it looked like hpv so tomrrow I'm.going back to the dentist to let him look again to see what he thinks I'm worried.
It is very less likely for HPV to present as oral warts inside the mouth as it is one of the rare sites. It can be due to having sex with multiple partners or with infected persons.

Fingers-genital contact is a possible way of transmission but unlikely to be a significant source. I suggest you to get a biopsy skin done for this lump on the gums to confirm the diagnosis.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank u for getting back to me I seen an oral doctor yesterday along with my dentist being there they both feels its not hpv or anything to worry about  and doesnt feel it should b cut and sent out its on the side of my tongue I have an appt next month for the oral dr to check again to make me feel better he told me if I really want him to biopsy he would next month but he feels I shouldn't its not hpv nor anything to worry about idk what I should do my blood came back fine on the 5th month all stds and hiv pap came back fine as well..... What do u feel I should do

I have not had sex in 14 years but 3 mo ago got what looked like a skin colored blister on my  gum, near my tooth. It will not go away. I have been two the dentist several time for periodontal work and he doesnt notice it. Could this be hpv that was dormant in my system?