Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Confused. Please help.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Confused. Please help.

I am a male in my late 20s. About 6 years ago I was dating someone who told me halfway through our relationship that she had HPV. We continued to date, but it eventfully fell apart. For about 6 months I had what I thought were 3 small warts on the shaft of my penis, but they went away on their own. Years went by and I avoided any type of sexual contact in order to prevent spreading the virus. Just recently I contacted her and brought it up. She told me that she never had HPV. But that she had abnormal cells that could have been cancerous that could have been caused by the virus. And that she had been tested for the virus by several doctors yet none of them could find proof of the virus in her body. Now I feel blown away. I refrained from relationships for years because I thought that I was infected. Is it possible to have warts but not have hpv? What else could the wart-like growths have been? Please help.
warts are caused by hpv virus regardless of if they are on your hands, feet or genitals.  

1 out of every 3 of us contracts hpv genitally in our lifetimes. it's incredibly common and thankfully for the vast majority isn't a health risk.  It's unfortunate you never confirmed that you even had warts but if they were, they were just a cosmetic concern, not a health risk. avoiding relationships for a history of genital warts is like avoiding dating because you once had a wart on your hand.  

at this point, really nothing you can do. it's been more than 2 years so odds are that if you did have hpv, it's cleared itself from your body and at undetectable levels so transmission to a partner isn't a realistic concern.

get back to living life!! Darn shame you avoided it for this long :(

grace
Hi Grace. Thank you for the information. I went to a doctor today and he tested my urine and looked at my genitals with a magnifying glass that had a light on it. He said that warts are supposed to laminate under the light. He told me that nothing is there and everything seemed normal. He wanted me to get bloodwork done but when I went to get s blood test they told me that they can't test for hpv in blood. I've been dating a girl for 2 months now and I've been conveniently avoiding sex with her, but she has made it clear that she wants more. Should I tell her? I want to be positive that I won't hurt her. Is the test that he performed accurate? Thank you.
Tell her what? You have nothing to tell her, your may have had hpv but that has nothin to do with you. If you didn't have noticed warts than don't say nothin. 9 of 10 if you had it from your ex its gone by now. No need to stop dating and avoiding it. If you want to be honest just tell your girlfriend and gave the info its a common std and you can't aviod it . No need to cut yourself off