Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Confused about genital warts

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Confused about genital warts

I think I have genital warts. I have no made it to a dr yet. I'm not exactly sure how I contracted them, I have been with the same man for the last 7 years and I'm pretty sure he has been faithful. I have a few questions. Could I have had this for a long time and just now started getting symptoms? My husband has never showed any bumps, is he most likely infected as well? I have been to the gyno and have had abnormal pap results and went back in and everything would come back okay the second time around, could the hpv be the causing agent for the abnormal results? I know hpv is the leading cause for cervical cancer, but I have read that genital warts hpv is low risk hpv, is that correct or false information? I have been driving myself crazy about this! I told
My husband about it and had him look but it's been a blame game ever since :|. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm scared to go to the dr. I don't want to be looked at any different. I know many ppl deal with hpv, but It's causing severe stress and depression. I have a son that I don't want to pass it too. I keep EVERYTHING in my house always bleached and very clean to keep him safe. One last thing I forgot. I only had two bumps on my lower genitals at first. I noticed another cauliflower looking one more on my outer genitals. I freaked out and tried to pick it off! ( I know bad idea!) the next day it was extremely sore and there were like two very small cut like things beside it? I freaked and thought herpes but I really don't think that's the problem. I'd really appreciate some kind of help, I need a piece of mind to know I'm not the only person dealing with this. Please help :((
Just to be clear the other posts on my profile were posted by someone I know. Just so there isn't any confusion. Anyone shed some light on this for me?
Your reaction to this is understandable and very typical.  For the longest time HPV has had a stigma attached to it that is completely understandable yet unjustified as science extends out understanding of the virus and it's behavior and life cycle.  Know this, that your reaction to it is based on the old paradigm and is not consistent with the new way of viewing it.  Here is what you need to know:

You say you've been to the gyno and had abnormal paps before but then they come back normal.  This is totally possible and not always the result of HPV.  This is not my area of expertise, however, so I recommend you contact a woman named hollyv for the most up to date perspective on this.  If HPV is indeed the culprit for your abnormal results, then it would not be linked to any wart causing strain of HPV. YOu are correct, genital warts is low-risk, and is not the cause of cervical cancer. I know the implication could be that you have more than one type, but do not rush to this conclusion.  I highly recommend contacting hollyv to get her perspective.  It will prove invaluable to your outlook.  

There is no need to worry about passing HPV in any form to your son via towels and the like.  While technically possible, you stand a greater chance of being struck by lighting during an earthquake.  Do not worry about this again please.  You'll spare yourself much headache.

You must go to the doctor.  What good does it do if your worst fears are correct (even though they almost always are not mind you) and you don't go to the doctor?  If you are wrong and you go, you will find out and be relieved that much faster.  IF indeed you do have HPV of some form, you can deal with it, get educated quicker and calm down that much faster.  HPV is not a big deal in any form.  It is an inconvenience that affects our lives to a small degree and that degree is directly related to how much you are educated about it and how much mental power you devote to it.  You'll be fine, trust me and millions of others on this one  

Remember that many many men and women and and young men and young women and teens get HPV.  It is so common it is a wonder it is not better understood.  Feel free to ask more questions here.  But you are best advised to go to a doctor as soon as you are temporally able.  Good luck to you.  Cheers.  
Thank you for your reply! I know I need to go to the dr & I will. And I feel better knowing my son is safe, but I'll continue to wash everything well. I do have a question tho. Is it safe to use tea tree oil on the bumps? I haven't yet, bc I don't know for sure that's what it is, but I'm almost positive that is the problem. Thank you again!
why use tea tree oil when you should be going to the doctor.  Don't stall and go.  Tea tree oil won't help you.  You might as well put peanut butter on them or something.  I say screw up your courage and face it already.  If it is warts,you're gonna have to anyway, and if it's not, you can breath easy and move on.
Please, don't put your two sense in if your going to be rude. Keep your cents to yourself!
Some mild abnormal pap results can be caused by low risk types. They don't lead to cancer, but they can be seen in pap test.
However, I can't say, if it was the same strain which caused your possible warts. Sometimes you might even have an abnormal pap because of some other reason than hpv.
I'm just confused on how exactly I got them. Went to the dr and it is in fact what I thought. Don't know how they got there it how long I've had them. I've been in a relationship with the same person for the last seven years and this is taking a toll on bothy husband and myself bc he think I have not been faithful when I have!
I am in the same situation. I've been in a monogamous relationship for almost 2 yrs and was recently diagnosed with gw. I wanted to die! I didn't understand how this could happen as I have not had a promiscuous  past. I was in a faithful marriage for over 20 years.  When I told my boyfriend he asked a few questions then started researching hpv. He, like your husband has no warts. My boyfriend realizes this is something I could have had for years or he may have passed it to me. This is a tricky virus that can lay dormant in your system for years.  My boyfriend is very supportive and still loves me.  This is something we will work through together.  That's what people that love each other do.  Having this doesn't mean that either one of you has been unfaithful. I encourage your husband to do some research and talk to your Dr.  There is a lot of info on the Internet and it can be confusing, but it's a good place to start.  I was treated with tca and started the acv treatment at home. I think it works! .  I've also started taking supplements to boost my immune system.  If you smoke, quit and keep alcohol to a minimum.  Good luck and keep us posted.