Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Confused hpv 16

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Confused hpv 16

Hi! I'll try to make my story short. I am a 24 yo female who got Gardasil in 2007 before I became sexually active. In 2010 I was fingered roughly by a guy and since then I have been experiencing vaginal irritation. Shortly after that I suffered from depression and lost my virginity in the process. I know there's really no point in trying to know who gave hpv to whom, but I was wondering if you think it's possible to get it from being fingered since the symptoms started to show up after that encounter. I got checked by a lot of doctors and all kind of stis tests and after more than two years I finally found a gyn who noticed a small warty rash around my vaginal entrance, he took a biopsy and the results came back positive for hpv 16. I'm now going to get another pap to see if my cervix is still ok.

My other questions are:

1. Since the vaccine hasn't protected me from getting infected, can it help me clear the infection faster?
2. I now have a boyfriend who is a virgin, but has performed oral sex in me. We've been together for a while, haven't had intercourse yet and he is aware of my situation. Should I tell him to see a doctor to check if he has any signs of hpv?
3. If treated and with regular paps what are the odds of getting cancer from this?
4. Also, am I going to be able to have babies? I really want to have kids and I'm scared that because of this they'll get something from me if I don't have a c-section.
5. My doctor also told me that since I since I used to swim every day until I was 15 I could have gotten it from a pool or some humid surface. Is there any study that can prove this? Guilt is getting the worst out of me.
Please help me.

1. No. The vaccine is to prevent strains that you don't already have.

2. Yes of course. But do realize that for many men there are no signs. Since men cannot be tested, only visible warts will let him know that he may have it.

3. Very low. Keep up with the regular pap tests and you should be fine.

4. Yes!  Google HPV and pregnancy to learn the facts.

5. Your doctor is mistaken. I don't know of any other medical doctor who would agree with this pool theory. This disease requires genital skin contact with other people based on what I have read. Go post these questions on the Doctors Forum and see what they have to say about the pool/humid surface.  Sounds like BS to me.
Thanks for your response! I just noticed I misunderstood the results, the biopsy showed I have a low risk strain (warts), the 16 was for the kind of study performed not the hpv strain. But what I don't get is my doctor's urgency to perform the pap. Can it show if I have cervical warts? I had one pap 6 months ago that showed mild inflammation but nothing else, and was then diagnosed with an infection that went away with some creams. Or can the inflammation be from low risk hpv that is causing the warts? I know I need to have the pap again sooner or later, but now I'm worried that I could have something else besides low risk hpv even with the shot. What are my chances of also having a high risk strain that isn't 16 or 18 type?

Thanks again!
I didn' mention that encounters were protected. I know it isn't 100% reliable but will it help enough to reduce the chance of the high and low risk strains not covered by the vaccine in the cervix?