Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Confused

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Confused

I've been in a healthy monogamous relationship for almost 2 yrs. previous to that I had a few unprotected sexual encounters. Before that I was in a monogamous marriage for over 20 yrs. My current boyfriend had also had some unprotected sexual encounters. We have both been tested for stds and all tests came back negative. I also had a pap about 4 months ago and that came back normal. Recently I discovered small bumps near my anus. I didn't think anything about it at the time because I thought it was from shaving.  My boyfriend and I continued to have unprotected vaginal and oral sex.I seem to have developed a few more and am suspicious that it may be genital warts.  I have not made love with him since I became suspicious that it could be warts. I have made an appointment to see a doctor and will know soon. I haven't told him my fears yet as I don't want to worry him .If I find out that's what it is of course I will tell him right away. It will be the hardest conversation I've ever had.I love him very much and it would break my heart knowing I gave it to him. Is there a possibility that he could have had it with no symptoms? How could I have had this for so long and am just now experiencing symptoms? Are there other things that it could be? I am driving myself crazy and it's all I can think about. I feel so gross and dirty. If anyone has any information I would truly appreciate any help.
The only thing you can do is wait to see your Dr. and get yourself tested.  When you and your boyfriend was tested was it for HPV and Herpes?  You need to have your boyfriend tested as well.  The thing is that there is a window period for everything, meaning that once you have contracted and STD or virus, your body needs time to produce antibodies before a test can detect it.  

With that being said it's possible that you or him were tested to early for the tests to detect and STD.  You can also be having an allergic reaction to soap or medication if your taking any.  Symptoms are not a good way of determining if you a STD or not, so like I said your on the right track, keep your appt. and get tested.  Best of luck to you.
There is no HPV test for men.  Her boyfriend cannot be tested for HPV in the USA.  Yes, it is possible he infected her.
He could have the strain that causes warts and not have any warts? I'm not trying to be thick headed, just having a really tough time with this.
That is correct, sort of.  Not everyone who has the low risk strain that produces warts gets visible warts on their body. Some get warts that are below skin level and cannot be seen. Some get both. Some who are infected just don't show symptoms (warts) until many years after exposure and something triggers them to appear. Some people get warts inside their anus and no one but a medical profession (ex: proctologist or GYN) can look in there. Anal warts are very common.
Saw the DR yesterday and it is hpv warts. She said they were few and
and should respond well to tca. She thinks they will turn black and fall off. She is not recommending I come back for another treatment unless they are still present in three weeks. Everything I've been reading sounds like they should be  treated weekly . Does anyone understand why her method of treatment differs so much from the info I've read. I also gave her my sexual past and told her I've been in a monogamous relationship for almost 2 yrs. She commented that my boyfriend probably gave it to me. He is not displaying any symptoms of gw and told me he never has.  I'm just sick about this and want them gone.  I'm also very afraid for my boyfriend. I dont want him to develop warts or have any other problems. We have not made love since I became suspicious that this could be gw. I know there are other ways to be intimate and express love, but are we going to have to spend the rest of our lives like this? I told him the news as soon as i found out. He was very silent and asked a few questions and I answered as best as I could. He  said he needed to study this because he knows nothing about it. He immediatly got on the internet. I gave him space to do his research and digest what I had just told him.He came to bed eventually and held me. We talked a bit in the morning and he said he doesn't want us to be distant. We need to be supportive with each other and carry on as we work together to understand the implications and our way forward.  I started taking immune boosting vitamins and am forcing myself to eat. I was going to the gym about 3x a week , but had stopped.  I plan to start doing that again.  I am going to try to be positive so I can be healthy.
This is what I don't understand about hpv. I've been in a monogamous relationship for almost 2 years. If  90% of the people clear this virus within 2 years how could I have this now? When they say "clear" the virus does it mean it stays in your system ,just dormant?
This is the question everyone has. Some believe it goes dormant at very low levels. Some believe that your body purges it forever. Unless you remain completely celibate after recovery, you will never know if another occurrence is from a new strain or it is the old strain. This is why the CDC says the only safe sex is no sex. Who the "f" can be permanently celibate?
I'm trying  to be positive about this , but the more info I gather the worse it seems.  My DR was very casual about this saying she sees this all the time. My boyfriend is being wonderful,though he's concerned. So, the good news is , I don't have the cancer causing strain ( as far as I know). I had a clean pap in April. I worry about my boyfriend getting this. I know he probably has hpv, but no warts.   Is this diagnosis truly an end to our love life?