Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Confusing pap smear results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Confusing pap smear results

Before I became sexually active eight years ago, I was diagnosed with genital warts but normal pap results. I was completely confused. Then a few months (same year) after I was married I had an abnormal pap.  It was positive for hpv and typed as number 6.  Over the years I have had normal paps even during pregnancy.  Two weeks ago I had an abnormal pap with atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance.  I talked with my dr and she said they did a reflex test for hpv and it was positive.  I received the paper copy of the results today and I'm completely confused.  The title of the test is "high risk hpv, thinprep reflex" which says positive beside it.  Then it goes on to describe the test and it says it detects all these strains of high risk hpv.  Then says "The expected result is negative.  A negative result does not rule out presence of an HPV genotype not included in the test panel."  I'm so depressed and confused.  Has my original strain just re-activated or do I have a whole new strain that is now high-risk?  The reason i'm asking is bc my original abnormal pap that was typed was a low-risk strain.  This one wasn't typed. My dr thought it was my original strain re-activated due to stress.  I can't reach her now and I guess she forgot about my results from years ago from the other dr.  Does anyone make sense of this????
If the HPV test positive and your Pap is normal, that means your cervical cells are normal, but you have HPV. You may fight off HPV naturally and never get cell changes. Or, you may not fight off HPV, and HPV could cause cell changes in the future. This might have happened in your case. A PAP smear can only indicate the presence of abnormal cells and does not indicate the level of CIN. Guidelines state that every woman who is diagnosed with CIN by Pap smear should be followed up by colposcopy and biopsy. You need to get it done and then the treatment can be planned.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.