Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Did my dermatologist make a correct diagnosis?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Recently I noticed what seemed to be a more abundand amount of what seemed to be moles in my groin section. None on the shaft of the penis though. I have had some of the marks for 4-5 years now. And the whole time I always assumed they were just small moles. None were really raised or bumpy, but one was maybe a little elevated, definitely not cauliflower or anything. I had been to doctors before over the past several years, and even had my GP test me for STDs and look me over in the genital area without any comment for years. A few days ago, I noticed I think a new spot, so I went to the dermatologist, and he said they look like the start of genital warts. And he froze them off, or rather just froze them. Now, I was a bit in shock from this announcement, as I had only been with 2 partners in the last seven or 8 years, and with my current partner over 2 years, and had been to the doctor numerous times, and been tested multiple times without anyone saying anything to me. On top of that, I have been with my current girlfriend for just over 2 years, and she just had a pap smear done, and was looked over and tested a couple of days ago.

The confusion I have is, could there be some possibility that my dermatologist was wrong about this? At least one or two of these spots I have had for a good 3 years, and they did not change in size in that time. In the shock of this news I sort of had a loss of words, and didn't clarify a few things. If he seemed to think they were the start of warts, and he was pretty certain they weren't moles, what else could it be if not genital warts? Or is it pretty certain they are warts? To me they look pretty much exactly like a wart, round, smooth, and brown.
I should correct, I meant they look exactly like a mole smooth, round, and brown.
Could he have been wrong? Yes. Without a biopsy result you won't even know. Warts can be brown or white or skin color. He should have biopsied one of them to confirm if they were HPV and the strain number of the wart. If he tries to do that again, insist on a biopsy. The time you spent with your current partner or the number of past partners is irrelevant. All it takes is to be with one infected partner. And what we know now is that even women who have current clean Pap results may have had the virus in the past. Many people get infected and then clear it without ever knowing they had it. And if they di have it in their past, a lowered immune system could result in unknowingly infecting their current partner.