Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Ex GF had abnormal pap smear and positive hpv test.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

About 2 months ago my girlfriend at the time(now my ex) had an abnormal pap smear and had to go back to her doctor for further tests. She ended getting a biopsy and also her doctor said that she was positive for HPV. She went back a week later and the doctor said to come back in 6 months for another pap smear. From what i understand she had abnormal cell changes to her cervix. What i am worried about it is if its the low risk type(warts) or high risk. From what i understand this would be considered high risk. I had been having unprotected sex with her from may until september when we broke up. It is safe to assume iam now a carrier. We didnt break up over the hpv by the way. Anyways Is it safe to assume that it was a strain that doesnt cause warts and i have nothing to worry about? As far as being a carrier will the fact that i am anemic hinder my ability to fight off the virus and clear it from my system? I am trying to take multivitamins every day and extremely scared of any possibility of symptoms.
Yes, it is safe to assume the strain is high risk and will not result in warts. High risk strains that result in cancer for men are rare and could take many years to develop cancel, if at all. To say you have nothing to worry about is not exactly correct, but it is nothing for you to lose sleep over since it could take many years for the symptoms of penil/anal/throat/neck cancers to appear. Keep taking the vitamins, stop smoking if you do, cut down on the booze, exercise, reduce stress and get plenty of sleep to boost your immune system. At least this is how I see it....
Have an HPV question?
100,000+ doctor answers