Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Genital Warts/Hpv question.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Genital Warts/Hpv question.

Hello everyone! I had a sexual encounter on August 1, 2012. Just last week, bumps appeared on my penis shaft. I am really scared because of all the things that i have read on the internet. Do warts/HPV really stay with you for the rest of your life? I am really scared. I also had a doctor look at it for his opinion, and he said that it might be genital warts. The doctor was wondering why it took a long time for the bumps to show. My questions are:

1. Do warts/HPV remain with you for the rest of your life?
2. How long will it take for warts to disappear?
3. Is their any type of treatment to remove warts? is it effective?

Thanks for your time!
warts need to be burned off by a dermatologist they instantly go away there is alot of pain too hpv in men only lasts two years longer for women :)
To answer your questions, I'm going to disagree with Drifter's one-size fits all comments that he gives to every person here. Your doctor's question makes me laugh because most people take 6-8 months from the time of infection before warts appear. Do the math, its 6 months.

A: This is the question everyone has. Depending on who you believe, you get different answers. Some say it remains in your system for the rest of your life waiting for your immune system to weaken. Some say it goes away after recovery in 6-24 months. I am of the opinion that it really doesn't matter. We all have viruses in our bodies from life. There are germs everywhere and unless you live in a bubble, viruses will be in you. Even if you somehow get it to disappear, unless you plan on being celibate for the rest of your life or marrying a virgin, you can get different strains with future partners no matter how safe the sex is.

A; If you refrain from sex and lead a healthy life (exercise often, no cigs, reduced alcohol consumption, healthy diet, vitamins, reduced stress and more sleep/rest), the average time is 6-24 months from the time of wart removal for 90% of all people. A strong immune system is key. No one knows who is in the 90% but there are many people who keep having warts for years and years.

A: Warts can be removed by many means (freezing, burning, creams, etc). Re-occurrence depends on whether you're still having sex during recovery or not. And how strong your immune system is. At the minimum, go 6 months of no warts before you have sex.