Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Genital Warts or a Hemorrhoid. Pleas Help.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Hello all.

Before answering my question here are some facts. I am a 22 year old straight male. I sweat quiet often around my genitals. I play soccer and run at least once a week. Sometimes my schedule doesn't allow me to shower for a few days so I would say my hygiene is not the best to say the least. I itch often around my genitals and anus since it gets sweaty. The other day it was itching pretty bad so I decided to read up on a few things and HPV was a possiblity to my symptoms due to the fact I found a soft lump on the upper part of my anus. (I also looked into Herpes boards however I have no signs of outbreaks and from what i have read the first outbreak is usually within 3 weeks.)

I have a question regarding the soft lump I found on the upper part of my anus. It is a single lump about 75% of it is externally visible in the mirror when i slightly spread my cheeks. I have had 2 sexual partners the past 6 months. One was a one time intercourse partner. The other was my ex girlfriend. My ex had a clean history since I went with her to get tested. I used protection with the one time partner (and later found she might have HPV) My question is, is it possible to have contracted a wart on my anus even though I was wearing protection? From what I can tell there are no other warts around it. It is painless. It does itch around the area but like I said that is "normal" for me. There is no discoloration. During the intercourse a few months ago I clearly remember none of her fluids came in contact with my anus. My scrotum did come in contact with her skin during intercourse but i have no signs of warts on my scrotum. I have an appointment to get checked out in 2 days but I am stressing out too hard right now and any help would be oh so greatly appreciated.
I also forgot to add that the intercourse was strictly vaginal.
I don't think it is hpv because by the sounds of it you've never had anal sex - you receiving. In some severe cases of HPV, I once read it is possible for the hpv infection to spread to the anal area with out ever having sexual contact in that area. There isn't alot of info on it, but it explain why there are many confused people with anal warts without ever having anal sex.

A bump could be many things not STD related like piles (haemorrhoids) or many other things. Definately get yourself checked out though, hpv is a possibility.

http://www.embarrassingproblems.com/problem/piles
Thanks a lot for the input arnie. I actually got some decent sleep last night. I am getting checked Friday hopefully it all turns out well
Yeah it is always best to get checked professionally. I think it is probably haemorrhoids. Let the forum know how you get on!
Hi there,
Well it is always a good thing to get checked out by the doctor...so it's great that you have an appointment! I am a female and have had one sexual partner (my husband of 7 years). Randomly I noticed I had a bump in my rectal area...it freaked me out so I made an appointment immediately. I thought it was hemorrhoids, but wasn't sure. I went to the doctors and she diagnosed it as being HPV. We don't partake in anal sex either. It is hard to say when or how I got it, but anything is possible. It just so happens that with about a week the bump started actually looking more like warts. Keep an eye on it and get to the doctors for further clarification. There is a chance that it may just in fact be hemorrhoids, but there is always a chance of it being something else (HPV included) as well. Good luck!
Thank you for the input. Much appreciated. I had another quick question however. Is it possible for warts to increase and decrease in size?
They can either increase, decrease or stay the same. Did you find out what you had?
Unfortunately there was some time constraints at PPH because it was a night appointment so the only tests I got were the HIV and the good old pee in a cup test. The actual doctor at PPH had to leave early so I didn't get an exam just the tests... Of course i got pissed and say forget that place. So now I am going through Kaiser.

When I say change in size I meant on a daily basis Arnie, not over a long period of time. Is your answer still the same?
No they shouldn't really change in size so quickly
New appointment made with Kaiser for a Physical now I have to wait for it...

While waiting I might as well just get educated on the subject...

I was wondering if it is possible to spread the virus to another body part. For example if I was touching and examining the possibly infected area and rubbed my eye or eyelid is it possible to have wart grow there?

Just wondering and patiently waiting my appointment :]
No you can't because the warts found in other areas, like the eyelids are a different type of HPV or they are completely different from warts called skin tags.

The HPV found in the genitals is only compatible with the skin in the 'boxer shorts' area and the mouth. You can't transmit the infection to your mouth without having sexual contact there with an infected person.