Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Genital warts not going away/getting worse after treatment

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Hi. Please don't be put off by the long post, and if you think you could help me please read it. I'm really confused and upset about this condition.

I first noticed a few warts just below the entrance of my vagina about two months ago. I had cryotherapy and those warts went away quickly but soon afterwards, many more appeared. I have since had three more treatments of cryotherapy every two weeks or so and unfortunately the situation is just worsening. I trust the doctors and nurses that they know what they are doing as they must see these problems extremely often, but this is really getting me down and I would be so happy if I could at least see an improvement. I especially feel awful for my boyfriend, who is being fantastic about the whole thing but would obviously prefer it not to be there. We haven't had sex since the warts appeared despite the fact that the doctor said there was no reason to abstain. This is mainly because we thought they'd be gone by now and we thought sex surely couldn't do the situation any good. However it is getting to the point where we just don't know how long this is going to last, and if it keeps getting worse I might not be physically able to have sex so we are considering having sex soon. My boyfriend fingered me yesterday for the first time since the warts appeared and I'm sure they've got worse since then - be it to do with that or not. I'm just so confused because my doctor is telling me one thing and my body is telling me another.

I apologise for the long message, I suppose my main questions are 1. Is it normal that my body is not only not responding to cryotherapy at this point but also the warts are getting worse after treatment and 2. Is it really for the best that I avoid sexual contact until the warts have gone or will it really make no difference to them?

Thank you
Hi and welcome. what did they diagnose that you have?
It's genital warts from HPV. I don't doubt the diagnosis it's just the treatment and advice about sex that I'm unsure about.
It would be best to post this in the HPV forum as is specific.