Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Genital warts vs. other abdominal warts?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

I'm 38 and recently went to a dermatologist to have some moles and marks looked at.  To my surprise, the Dr. said that I had warts on my abdomen.  I thought this was a birthmark and I've had it for as long as I can remember, but it looks like while moles across my abdomen, shaped like the Hawaiian Island chain (one big one, followed by five others of decreasing size.  The Dr. froze them and told me not to worry, that although he thought they were likely contracted sexually, that once they fall off I will no longer be contagious (i.e. the HPV virus lives on the skin and not in the body, so once killed they are gone).  Is this true, and why they can't be tested via blood?  Also, how can I determine if this is actually HPV (vs. a birthmark) and what strain?  Do I need to have some cut off and sent for lab testing?

Thank you!
answered on std experts forum.