Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV - I'm Back - Commentary

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV - I'm Back - Commentary

I posted here a few years ago about my HPV genital warts infection and how upset I was by it. Most people I "Know" from back then no longer visit as their "saga" is over. Not me! I am healthy weight / everything , don't smoke or drink and have only had 3 sexual partners. You can either search through my history or I can update here:

Monogamous/married 15+ years and develop a genital wart in 2009 - had it removed by excision no recurrence no nothing. Spent years worried that (1)  I was contagious to my child, and/or had already unknowingly transferred warts before diagnosis with use of shared bath towels puff etc. and that (2) I would somehow contract oral HPV.

Fast forward to March this year -saw a gyne specialist finally and she put my mind to rest that my husband likely didnt cheat on me as these things can show up decades later (despite my own dr and dr hook suggesting statistically he did) and that I wasnt contagious to my child etc. Finally had the courage to actually start sharing spoon straw with my family (yes after 3 years) Ahhh finally I dont feel diseased!!

Once again fast forward to end of July this year at my regular dental appt I mention that I noticed a bump on my tongue (I thought it was an enlarged taste bud and had to point it out to my dentist 3x before he saw it) Oh! Thats just a papilloma!! I think my heart fell on the floor because you and I know what a papilloma is. He said (as he was walking out the door) I could leave it and he would just watch it every year because it wont do anything but if it bothers me to call him get it removed. Well of course I want it removed!! Sure enough after biopsy "squamous papilloma" . I asked about it and the oral surgeon said it wasn't contagious or viral.
Of course internet searches have led me to believe that all papillomas are viral He said that I shouldn't  look on the internet or give it another thought. Well of course I've been thinking about it non stop, feeling like a walking disease again and wondering if my child or myself will develop more warts or even the dreaded RRP. Good God. I really cant stand this!!!
Welcome back. I think I actually read some of your older posts while doing my own research. I can understand your being surprised by the doctor's attitude to these pappillomas. I have a hard time with the nonchalant approach!!!
So you've had this mouth wart for three years?  
You know what? I could have had it for a long time and never noticed it. I don't often stick out my tongue as far as it will go and look at it. I remember I noticed it last january as I ate something spicy and had a look back there because my tongue hurt ( I have a fissured. cracked,  scalloped tongue so it looks gross and weird on the best of days). It was the same colour as the rest of my taste buds, it just looked bigger and it felt hard when I touched with my finger. I took a picture before it was removed and ill try put it in my profile for you to look at. I thought I would mention it to my dentist at my regular cleaning in July. I asked "whats that bump on my tongue? He looked and said he couldnt see anything THREE TIMES. Then he brought me a mirror and said you will have to show me which I did and then he pretty much shrugged it off as I said before. I could've had it for years I guess.
Obviously I can't speak any definitives here, but my guess is that it's perhaps been there the whole time.  When you get HPV, as you know, it takes a bit to come out and then you have random break outs til your body fights it off.  You may not have got it at the exact same time as the genital.  Perhaps it came out six months later but was still from the original times of exposure before you built up anitbodies.  In my opinion, it's entirely possible it's been there for two years.  I don't know of many posts here in the last three years that are people who left their warts untreated and just waited for their body to deal with it just to see how long it takes.  If I had to speculate.  I'd say it's been there.  Who knows though. All you can do is work on your head game and wait and see.  Remember that it is just a nonchalant thing as your dentist reacted.  No one wants it, but it's not a big deal all in all.  Try to keep that in mind and now that you've had it removed, I'm suspecting you won't be seeing any more warts appearing anywhere.

Good luck
Have an HPV question?
100,000+ doctor answers