Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV

Yesterday my doctor called and said that my pap test came back abnormal and that I tested positive for HPV type 2. I have been doing a lot of reasearch on the internet and my main question is that if the bodies immune system clears HPV from the body can I still transmit it to my partner afterwards?
This is the question that you will get different answers on. When you get a two negative Pap results, your doctor will tell you that you are not infectious. Some medical professionals believe that the virus can re-surface if your immune system is lowered and you can infect a partner. Some believe that once you clear it, you will never be infectious. There are women on this site who had it 10 years ago and are suddenly positive again while being in a monogamous relationship all those years. They don't know if its the same strain from their past or a new strain from a recent partner. Very simply, to be sexually active means you always have the risk of getting a new strain or infecting someone with your strain. Most people do not get re-occurrences. Lead a healthy life and you may not get a re-occurence.