Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV 16

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV 16

About 15 years ago my PAP came back abnormal with cervical dysplasia and pre-cancerous cells detected.  A LEEP and Colosocopy was done at that time and my PAP remained normal for 1 year.  The following year, my PAP came back abnormal again with the pre-cancerous cells, at that time I had a total hysterectomy with removal of the cervix.  Since that time all my PAP have been normal again.  I recently changed doctors and with my last visit, my PAP came back normal but an HPV test came back positive for the 16 strain.  To say I'm in shock is an understatement!  I have no symptoms or discomfort, and no cervix anymore.  My new doctor wants to do a colposcopy, is this really necessary since I'm no longer at risk for cervical cancer?

Help, I'm freaking out about this right now!
you can still have hpv infections in the vagina as well as any tissue left near the top.  at this point after your colposcopy, they should refer you to a oncologist gyn if they haven't already. there are some topical treatments to try to help with this.

I'd also post in the cervical cancer forum if you haven't already. those gals are good at the long term follow up and issues like this  :)

best of luck and I hope you get good news!

grace
Thanks Grace,

Are you telling me that I'm still at risk for cervical cancer even after a total hysterectomy?

I was under the impression that all would be well and was well afterwards until now.  I've been with the same person for over 10 years now and always wished that I could of had a child with him, but due to the hysterectomy I couldn't and always wished I could of.  Does this mean it was all for nothing and that I'm still at risk?  Now I'm really scared and don't know what to think?  All PAP's have been normal with the exception of this one HPV test done since the then with my previous doctor telling me it wasn't a necessary test due to the hysto being done.  Was I mis-lead?

Cindy
well you don't have a cervix so we don't call it cervical cancer but yes you can still have cancer in the vagina from hpv :(  

my bestest friend in the whole wide world has actually been going through similar issues :(  To say she has been frustrated has been greatly understating it.  get the referral to the oncologist gyn - the one she saw was so kind and helpful and really helped her through it all!