Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV ASCUS Colposcopy

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV ASCUS Colposcopy

I was diagnosed with high risk HPV in March 2012 and had a normal pap. This past March 2013 i received an ASCUS pap and high risk HPV. My doctor suggested that I get a colposcopy (which is scheduled for next Thursday). My biggest concern now is the colposcopy results and treatment options. Has anyone been in my exact shoes? What were your results?
If the PAP smear has shown high risk HPV, then you need to get a colposcopy and biopsy done. Usually if the biopsy report comes normal, we do smears at regular intervals. If PAP smears come out abnormal then LEEP is done. After LEEP, usually cone biopsy is usually done. Hysterectomy, or the surgical removal of the uterus, is used to treat almost all cases of invasive cervical cancer and may sometimes be used to treat severe dysplasia or dysplasia that recurs after any of the other treatment procedures. So if the PAP comes abnormal even after cone then unfortunately hysterectomy may need to be done.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your answer. I have high risk HPV non 16 or 18. I read online that that actually lowers my chances of having CIN 2 or 3.
the colposcopy is easy to have done. it's just a magnified look at your cervix. they will biopsy anything they see that looks suspicious at that time and you'll have way better answers :)

stop back and let us know your results !

grace
Thank you for your reply. I had the colposcopy done and I was extremely nervous beforehand and cried my eyes out. The doctor was great and she calmed me down and walked me through the entire process. I didn't fell any pain at all, not even pressure. The only thing I felt was the speculum. They did one biopsy (I couldn't believe it when the doctor said, "Ok, all done with the biopsy"... I didn't feel ANYTHING AT ALL!) The doctor said she thinks it will either come back as normal or CIN 1. I go back on May 2nd for my results. I will post again once I get the results!
fingers crossed it all comes back normal for you :)

I hardly felt the biopsy's when I had them done myself.  when I got the phone call back that all was fine - I did my happy dance!
I am REALLY hoping I can do a happy dance as well! Did you have HPV and ASCUS also? I have been trying to not read too much online because that's when I start panicking... everyone's situation is different so it's difficult to go by that.

I tested positive for high risk HPV March 2012 and had a normal pap. This past March I tested positive for HPV and ASCUS. The only thing that made me feel slightly better was the fact that I do not have HPV 16 or 18. And based on what I read, it seems like that will work in my favor and reduce my risk of CIN 2.

I feel like I am a HPV expert at this point lol- I've read sooo much.
my blood pressure goes up when I think about what I had to go through to get tested for hpv at  the major teaching hospital I am seen at!!!  I'm sure my chart has a rhymes with witch label on it!!!  It took me over a year and it was my regular provider who added it on to my last pap to get it done.  I sat there quoting acog guidelines to the gyn and I might as well have been discussing current economic indicators and their effects on the next fiscal years budget with the dude for as good as it did :(     it was so frustrating.  I absolutely was not going to go through follow up testing for 3 years if I was negative hpv. thankfully I didn't have any cin or ascus - just an abnormal pap and some observed abnormalities during my colposcopy.   no wonder I drink.!!

it's always good to have at least a knowledge of the basics when you get an ascus pap result!!  you can't make educated decisions with your provider if you don't know what questions to ask or why we do what we do as far as follow up :)

My appointment to get reaults is scheduled for next Thursday but the doc just called me... Imagine the look on my face... The biopsy came back normal!!!!!!!! I am so relieved and so happy!!! Thank you so much for your well wishes and kind words... I haven't been able to talk about with anyone except my boyfriend and best friend (which is a guy)... I just haven't been able to talk to any of my female friends because of the HPV stigma. And honestly I feel uncomfortable around women now because I feel like I am the only one going through this. I was very happy when you replied to my post- I didn't feel alone any longer :) thank you!!! I get another pap in 1 year so I'm sure I will be back here with more anxiety lol