HPV Infection in a monogamous relationship
My wife has just been diagnosed with HPV (high-risk) last week (by a first time HPV test). While we have a follow up meeting with her Dr. in mid-December we have some unanswered concerns now. Specifically ..

1. Since we both are infected (and have been in an monogamous relationship for 10+ years) what precauations should we be taking now ? Can we aggravate the infection i.e. can I keep re-infecting her if her infection clears up ?

2. If we have to take precautions (see above question) what level of strictness needs  to be followed ? Condoms only ? no kissing ? no holding hands ?

3. What are the other known forms of transfer other than sexual contact ?

Thanks for any information you can provide, we are very surprised and concerned by this, especially after 10+ years of monogamy and her being a virgin at the start of the relationship.

Thanks v.g.
As always.... posters in the community forum are not medical professionals.....

I will try to share my understanding of HPV.

While HPV infections usually present themselves in the months following exposure, sometimes they will appear years or even decades later.

1) Most of the advice that I have been given has stated that since both partners already share the infection, there is little need to change sexual habits. Once a HPV infection is cleared, a person often develops an immunity to that strain of virus, and therefore people will not "ping pong" infections.

2) I have heard recommendations for condoms, but this isn't shared by all experts. Kissing is okay because oral HPV infections are quite rare, not often serious, and are not likely to be spread by kissing. Holding hands is absolutely risk free.

3) Nearly all infections are spread sexually (intercourse is not required, but skin to skin contact is), but as stated earlier, it could have come from an exposure in the distant past. Indirect transmission is likely possible, but extremely rare and not often thought of as a big risk.
i was told when I found out about my HPV that I should avoid receiving oral sex if I know that I have an active infection. You both should avoid smoking if you do..and if YOU smoke..you should use condoms because the toxins in cigarettes have been shown to help the hpv infection in causing abnormal cell changes that may lead to cancer
Your wife should be helping her body to resuppress the infection by eating healthy (dark leafy greens/bright veggies)fruits/veggies, no smoking/reducing drinking, take a multi vit w/ folic acid (my doc rec. l-lysine too since it helps in maintaining healthy cells)