Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV Risk???

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV Risk???

1) How rare is oral HPV, i.e. rimming someone who may have had HPV on their anus. Also, if I rubbed my penis (unprotected) on buttocks, but not on the actually infection sight, is it rare to obtain HPV this way also?

2) Also, I have heard that the HPV that causes genital warts doesn't infect other parts of the body like the face or fingers...does this mean it won't cause warts there? or that it is rare to catch the virus in that place? I am confused..

3) Can I get genital warts if I rubbed my penis on his buttocks, but not at the infection site, just on normal skin, or is this also very rare?

4) Also, my lips burn sometimes...is slightly burning lips a sign of HPV infection? Like oral HPV?
5) What if my finger touched the warts, then I touched my penis...can I get genital warts that way??I have heard that the hpv that causes genital warts won't grow elsewhere...does this mean that i didnt get the hpv, or just that no warts can be present?
1) Oral HPV can happen, but it is very very rare. Rimming poses a risk, but not a significant one. There simply isn't a lot known about oral HPV because of how unusual it is.

2) You won't get genital warts on other parts of your body except genital area, thigh and mouth. Warts on your hands are flat common warts which aren't sexually transmitted.

3) You could still get the virus from rubbing the area unprotected, but as you didn't actually penetrate then it remains low risk. Sex is generally the most significant way to pass the virus on. 'Rubbing' isn't a very high risk at all.

4) No, burning is not a sign of oral HPV. That's most likely due to something else unrelated.

5) You won't get it that way.
We did have penetrative sex...but that was of course, protected. So you see no risk for me getting HPV, or anything I should worry about?
Also, I posted awhile back on a bump I noticed in my genital region...not sure if it was herpes or a wart, or just an irritation. Is it possible to scrape off a genital wart...and would it hurt? Please help...I know there is no cure or test for HPV...But I am getting into a new relationship and wouldn't want to give my new partner anything. =(
And this person did have warts present around the anus, but we both weren't sure if they were warts. They are gone now.
Also, what is the risk if I rubbed near the crack with my penis, when there were no visible warts??
Or better yet...on the actual hole when there were no visible warts anymore...but were at one time, recently