Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV Success Stories?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV Success Stories?

Hi everyone. About 4 months ago, I had my first abnormal PAP, and subsequent colposcopy/biopsy confirmed CIN1 with 'focal CIN2'. Since my provider was confident she got all the CIN2 with the biopsy, she recommended watchful waiting for 6 months and then a repeat colpo. I'm 25 (in good shape, eat well) and have only had one sex partner for actual intercourse, so I know the infection is new as of 9 months ago (I know HPV can be transmitted by oral too, but for various reasons I know that is not the case here). For that reason, I was shocked to hear that I already had dysplasia and that it had already begun to progress to CIN2 within the first 6 months of likely infection. Apparently trying to be safe and having only one sex partner didn't work out so well in my case. I went for a second opinion in December, and he said the colpo didn't appear to show moderate or severe dysplasia, but he didn't take a biopsy since I was going to my provider in a few months anyway.

So many of the stories/questions I see on the internet seem to involve worst case scenarios with regards to HPV outcomes. The STDs forum on here was a great resource with more grounded information, but it's mainly focused on how most infections clear without ever becoming a serious problem. I wondered if there are ladies out there who have had success clearing the virus even after dysplasia, with or without further treatment (LEEP, cryo, etc) and how long it took for them to do so. I think it'd be really helpful for me and probably others to hear that there is hope of this thing going away and life returning to normal. Even though my doctor told me not to worry, the waiting without being able to see what's going on is terribly hard!!

Besides success stories, I also wondered about future pregnancy. My main concern in all this isn't actually cancer, which seems to be a very rare outcome if you follow up regularly, but being able to carry a child in 2-3 years when my fiance and I are ready. How much treatment can the cervix tolerate before one starts having trouble being able to carry a child? Any success stories there?