Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV among gay couples ?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV among gay couples ?

I am 34 year old gay man, I´ve been sexually active since I was 19, I am STD and HIV Free. I am dating a 25 y.o gay man who was infected with HPV  2 years ago, we haven´t had anal sex yet because of this matter (HPV).

My questions are :

1) Would simply body contact is enough for me to get infected ¿
2) What methods can we use in order to have "protected sex" besides the use of condoms and being monogamous.
3) Is there a vaccine available I can take in order to prevent spread of genital warts (in case they appear) ?
4) Is there a vaccine available for my partner ?
5) Are there any natural remedies we can take in order to reduce the rish of infection ?

Thank you very much

1) Basically yes, but two factors must met: A) An active source of infection (i.e you partmer shedding virus particles, or a contaminated shared object). B) A microscopic abrasion in your anogenital skin area.

However consider also the following:
your partner's last known infection was pretty long time ago. So unless he acuired a new one since then - chances are very low (no one can tell the exact odds but "low" is not likely to happen, especially if has no clinical symptoms such as warts). Yet you also need to remember that most infections are not clinical, not leading to any symptoms or disease (what called "latent"). If you have been in a monogamous relationship for more than 6 sequential months (and also been tested for common/important STIs) then there's no real justification for avoiding all of the sexual aspects of your intimate life.

2) There's no much other known ways, and this is the best way known. In general you can also try to be careful in fecal-oral route.

3) No. The vaccines offered are for specific strains, and before you are exposed.

4) The two vaccines on the markets intended for those before they become sexually active.

5) Not that I know of.