Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV and breast feeding...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV and breast feeding...

hi, im pregnant with my 2nd child. i discovered that i had HPV with my 1st child. i recently was cleared of the virus. but it has only been a few months since i have been cleared. my doctors said i am not out of the woods yet, i need to be clear for years. now i didnt breast feed with my first child, i was curious if it was safe to breast feed with being cleared from the virus. or even if it was to come back, what would be the effects of breast feeding with the virus.
HPV is only transmitted from direct contact with infected skin. Breastfeeding should be fine.
hpv is transmitted through sexual contact.

HPV is passed on through genital contact, most often during vaginal and anal sex. HPV may also be passed on during oral sex and genital-to-genital contact. HPV can be passed on between straight and same-sex partners—even when the infected partner has no signs or symptoms.

???
You are right, but you it is only transmitted in any of these ways if contact with infected skin is made.
well my breast is a genital right? lol so if it was a much older guy sucking on my breast wouldnt that be consider sexual contact?

ahhh screw it ill ask my obgyn next time i see him lol
No.

You won't get genital HPV on your breasts.

HPV is not transmitted through all sexual contact. Breast play, masturbation, etc is safe. Gential (genital) to genital (or anal) contact is risky. There is some risk with oral sex.

Consulting a doctor is a good idea.
well it is different with babies. when my son was born he had a 20% chance getting warts on his vocal cords. luck he didnt. but i am assuming that it can be transfer through the breast milk considering it is a virus. yes you may not get warts or such on your breasts. but you prob can transfer it to your child through you milk. when i go to the docs on the 20th im gonna double check.
Clearly your belief was set before you even asked the question. Which makes me wonder, why bother?
cuz actually after i asked the ? i did some searching on the web about some things and know some things from prior knowledge. i didnt get clear facts on if it was safe....that why i said ill ask the doctor. im just puttin my input back into what you say. but i am clear of the virus now...tho who knows if it will come back or even if im safe now to breast feed.
I have the hpv strain that causes gw... well i HAD it 10 yrs ago, and no breakouts since.

I was worried when pregnant with my now 10 mo old son about delivery, and my dr said so many moms have hpv and have delivered their babies healthy and just fine. .:)

on the bf note... i bf Nevan for 8.5 mo.. and ive never heard or seen any proof of hpv being transmitted through breastmilk. Google has everything.. ive learned to TRY my best to stay the hell away from googling illnesses and transmission of diseases.
thanks for the info julia! it makes me feel better hearing from someone who actually went through what i wanted to know
No, your breast is not a genital.  HPV can be transmitted through genital to hand contact so it appears to me that excellent hygiene is part of the bigger picture.  Vertical transmission of the virus from mother to child is possible but uncommon.