Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV and normal pap

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV and normal pap

Partner had genital warts over 10 years ago which cleared with cream from the doc, she wasn't informed at the time which types(s) of HPV she had.  Since then all paps have been normal.  If she had a high risk HPV back then would it show up in the paps since?  Is she in the clear of it progressin to cancer is paps are normal, appreciate your input.
i am also wondering if normal paps come is it less likely to pass the virus on. I had sexual contact with someone who was infected but had normal paps, only fingered her then she went down on me i cleaned off with soap right after we then had sex with a condom what is my likely hood on contracting this virus i am very worried as she didnt tell me till after. i have bleach washed my hands and rubbing alchohol my genital area the only contact i made to her was through my hand and the use of condom i am very worried i wish there was a test for a guy.
When your partner had warts that was a symptom of low risk HPV. If she has had no more warts in that time then you can assume that her system has cleared it and you are not likely to get warts nor is she again.

Because she was not tested you don't know if she has had any high risk HPV strains which is what causes cell changes and abnormal paps. She hasn't had this happen so you can assume you are both also safe from this. Now, because once we have a strain we can't get it again I guess we carry it in our bodies forever. Sometimes if someones immune system gets low or things like stress might cause a later flare up but I think this is not the norm. The best thing she can do is get yearly paps to know her health is good.

That would depend on the timing and if she only has the high risk strains. If she had an abnormal pap then after than had a normal pap the rule is wait 3 to 6 months after the normal pap to assume their system has passed HPV. Usually it takes 1 to 2 years.

If she had low risk HPV which is the wart causing type then her paps would never had been abnormal and the same rules apply with warts. After the warts are gone you wait 3-6 months.

HPV is passed via skin to skin contact. Oral sex is only a rare risk for transmission. No matter how much you wash you can't change there was contact during the act. Condoms are not 100% but def better than no protection. Please don't use alcohol on your skin. No there are not tests for men but don't worry so much. HPV is very common, when people get most pass it within a year or two and for men there are not as many issues as for women.
Thanks,

I'm not quite clear on that.  Let's say age had a high risk HPV 10 years ago, could the 10 paps since have been normal or would an abnormality have shown up before now.  basically want to knownif she needs a HPV test now.
No she doesn't need an HPV test because she has no symptoms. By what you say she had warts but never dyplasia which is when there are abnormal cell growth on the cervix. She could have had high risk HPV but never had it develope into anything. 10 years is plenty of time to assume her body has delt with any exposure. If she has had sexual partners during that time she might have been exposed to strains she didn't have but again, no symptoms means don't worry. If you are worried about your exposure, agian no symptoms, no worry. She should have a yearly pap and that is all the texting needed. My mom had dyplasia, just like I do and at the time she had it 20 plus years ago they were not aware of HPV like they are now. Even now there is so much not known. I am sure my mom was a virgin and my parents were faithful but who knows. So how do you explain her case of HPV, we can't. So why try or why worry. She had a procedure to remove the cells and never had another issue. I have both abnormal cells and warts right now. I am having treatments for the wart and feel the cells will go back to normal on their own.
My doctor told me more than 80% of the population has hpv and even if you have normal pals you may have it because you have to be shedding it at the time of the pap for it to be found.
There are about 200 types of HPV, close to 40 are genital strains. HPV is so common that if someone doesn't have it they prob will in their lifetime. This doesn't mean that it will ever  cause symptoms or serious health issues. You can have mulitple strains at once, both high and low risk. High risk strains have risks of cancer but that is very rare, low strains cause warts, common and genital. Once you have been a strain you can never get it again. From what I have read you get it, might get symptoms and not know it, get symtoms (symptoms) and pass them or never get symtoms (symptoms). After 1 to 2 years your body will pass it, the strain becomes so low that test do not detect it. Rarely people will have flare ups again, or they might have contracted a new strain and are having symptoms from the new exposure. So you can see there are lots of what if's and everyone will have a different experience. Then main thing is yes HPV is very common and for the most part just a skin condition that rarely causes serious health risks and when it does there are lots of treatment options.