Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV does it cause Pain?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV does it cause Pain?

Ok after I had my daughter they tested me for HPV. It was negative. I went to the hospital 3 days ago because my female organs were hurting (dying pain). They diagsnosed me with Pelvic Inflammatory disease. I haven't had sex with any one new in over 4 years. all std test came back negative. so why would they say i have PID if there was nothing there anyways. What makes it hurt as bad as did?
I'm thinking you're tying PID to hpv because PID is caused by bacterial vaginosis which can occur with new hpv infections?

Well I can't say your hpv test was accurate simply because hpv is so common and because an hpv test will not detect a DORMANT strain of hpv. The honest truth is you could have hpv. You could also not have hpv.

Why are concerned with hpv anyway? Did you have a strain of hpv in the past that your immune system cleared? Or symptoms maybe?

Remember that bacterial vaginosis occurs in many many women without an hpv infection. In fact, despite what you read about it on just about any website, "sex with multiple partners" is not the only way you can get bacterial vaginosis. I don't even know how valid that is, the truth is they don't know why bacterial vaginosis occurs. All they know is that it occurs more frequently in sexually active people. However, it must be somewhat valid I suppose being that bacterial vaginosis is basically an upset of bacteria in the vagina and I suppose "sex with multiple partners" WOULD subject the vagina to all sorts of bacteria but... I've gone off on a tangent :p

My point is, there are all sorts of different contributing factors for bacterial vaginosis. It doesn't mean you have contracted an std. Virgins get bacterial vaginosis too. Hmmm... have you recently taken any antibiotics? While the doctors I spoke with informed me they had "never heard of that" antibiotics do kill bacteria and it makes sense to me that because there are so many types of bacteria in the vagina, if you kill certain types off, the other types will flourish and cause an "upset of bacteria" in the vagina.
Have an HPV question?
100,000+ doctor answers