Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV in Throat?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV in Throat?

So I have been freaking myself out for a while researching what could be wrong with my Tonsils.  I was recently tested for HIV last month using a Rapid Test and thank goodness it came back negative!! My tonsils have been swollen for a few months now and its freaking me out!

I have seen quite a few women in the last year, ALL protected of course, and I generally never give oral.  I gave a couple girls oral unprotected and received too.  Never intercourse without a condom.  Well I generally get bad sore throats and had a bad one at the beginning of last year.  But as of August or November of late last year I noticed my tonsils were bothering me.  I did not think anything of it until my doctor said they looked large. He did nothing about it.

Well I started to feel them more as I swallowed food or water.  I started snoring more (Sleep Apnea?) and always felt as if something was in the back of my throat sitting there...so it bothers me.  I poked at one of my tonsils and it started to bleed.  It also had some white stuff on it.  Went to see an ENT and he gave me antibiotics and checked for strep.  The medication did nothing for me, no strep, and I just learned to deal with the enlarged tonsils.  

Well since I started to look up what can be the causes of my enlarged tonsils, I freaked thinking I had HIV, thus the test for it...again negative like I said. So now I am trying to figure out what could be the issue.

My tonsils only bleed if I poke at it really hard with a q-tip and they are still large. Recently my daughter had the stomach flu, about 2 weeks ago.  i am now today feeling sick, fatigued, Nauseous, loss of appetite, diarrhea, and light headed.  I looked at my tonsils and the back of my throat looked different (or I think it does). I thought I saw a small bump and I can see some veins at the back of my throat.  Is this HPV of the throat?

I am freaked it can be cancer due to HPV...or am I just overreacting?
I have two dr appointments tomorrow, one with my family doctor and one with ENT.  Does anyone have any ideas?
Is this HPV of the throat or Tonsils? Am I in trouble??

Please help!
Tags: HPV, throat, Cancer
Oh yeah and my last contact with anyone with Oral sex is about 3 months ago and the symptoms of feeling sick are happening now.  
I won't go into every detail of your message, but I can tell you that the chances of it being oral HPV are very, very slim.  HPV usually only takes hold in the mouth cavity if someone is immunosuppressed (given that you have tested negative for HIV, you can pretty much say you are not immunosuppressed).  Couple that with the fact that even if you were infected with HPV in the mouth, you would never notice any symptoms.  Most (almost all) HPV infections are asymptomatic, and the only way you would know if you had it in your mouth would be through a wart.  Now, as far as the prevalence of oral warts... it's extremely extremely rare.  Even then, it's only seen in people with weakened immune systems.

If you are concerned about oral cancer due to HPV from oral sex, don't be.  Oral cancer affects maybe 16,000 people per year.  80% of people who have ever had sex have had HPV at some point, and you can guarantee that someone performed oral sex on a good chunk of that 80%.  Now, if oral cancer from HPV was at all common, don't you think the number of oral cancer cases due to HPV would be HUGE.  It would be.  Think of it this way.  Let's say, conservatively, that 30,000,000 people in the United States have an active strain of HPV.  And let's say that 40% (again, VERY conservative) of those people have had someone perform oral sex on them.  That leaves 12,000,000 exposures to HPV via oral sex (and this is a VERY conservative estimate).  Consider that only about 1/1000 of that number leads to any sort of oral cancer, and the MAJORITY of these are in immunosuppressed people, that gives you a less than 0.1% chance that you will get oral cancer from HPV.

Long story short, I seriously doubt you have anything to worry about.  Go to a doctor to get checked out, but I would be VERY VERY surprised to hear that your current throat problems have anything to do with HPV... especially considering HPV infection in the genitals and the mouth is, in almost all cases, asymptomatic.
Also... cancer does not develop in a few weeks.  A lump in the back of your throat from an exposure a few months ago seems very unlikely.  Also, everyone can see the veins in the back of their throat.  I just checked... I can too.
DasKapital,

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm going to the doctor in a little bit. Hopefully this is just a stomach flu thing and I am over reacting. Researching symptoms online can make one go crazy.

My tonsils are pretty ugly looking and may need to be removed. I'm going to get all the STD tests possible today just to ease my mind about all this.

I will keep this post up to date with my findings.

Thanks!
Das
Has everyone who has had sex been exposed to some sort of HPV virus? If we were both exposed to the same strain of HPV would we both get symptoms or would one of us have them and the other wouldnt? 70 strains of HPV out there, how many cause warts?
If you have had sex with two people, there is about a 70-80% chance that you've been exposed to one strain of the HPV virus.  So, more or less, at one point or another, just about everyone gets exposed to HPV.  If we were both exposed to the same strain, it is likely we would have the same symptoms (although the only strains that would show symptoms would be the wart causing strains), but there are definitely people who don't get warts after being exposed to wart-causing strains.  There are a ton of HPV strains, several of which cause warts, but 90% of genital wart cases are due to HPV strains 6 and 11.
Thank You for taking the time to reply to me, What about if youve had sex with someone who has had lots of partners? Wow 90% are due to 6 and 11? Do these strains cause warts?
If you had sex with someone who had a lot of partners, then the chances are very high that that person either presently has or at some point in the past (recall that nearly HPV cases clear up and become non-contagious) had some strain of HPV.  

And yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.  Strains 6 and 11 cause 90% of all genital warts.