Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV low turning into High HPV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV low turning into High HPV

My husband has had multiple partners and I had gotten low risk hpv. Now the doctor says I have high risk hpv and a abnormal pap. Can low risk hpv turn into high risk hpv? Or should I be worrying about him having multiple partners again. He said he hasn't since the last time. i'm not to sure considering the change in hpv status.
There are two types, high risk which causes cell changes. Your abnormal pap is showing dyplasia, that is pre cancerous cells. You will need to see your doc to have a biopsy if that is what he suggests and find out if your cells are mild, moderate or severe. Don't let this worry you because there are lots of treatments and the risks of it becoming cancer is low. The second type is low risk and this is what causes genital warts. I have both types, so you prob also have both high and low risk HPV. There are almost 200 types of HPV, about 40 of those are gential (genital)/sexuallly transmitted. So you and I both could have more many out of all of those. Once you get a type you can't get it again. So, if your hubby cheats and gets a type you don't have now you will get that type. This can cause cell changes or warts or you may never get any symptom. If he is sleeping with others you are at risk of other more serious STD's. Because HPV is usually given through skin to skin contact condoms don't fully protect so you need to talk to him about the risks he is taking with your health. As for if you should worry, stress doesn't do anything to help you, HPV untreated can cause serious issues but usually with regular medical care this wont happen. Read through the forums on this site to ease fears and look at Ashastd. org for good info. When you go to your doc have them exam you for warts, my first two visits they were missed and I found them myself then had to go back to have the doc confirm. I start treatment next week. As for my cell changes, mine is mild and I am hoping healthy living will make that go away by my 6 month visit. Most often people do clear the symptoms from their system within 1 to 2 years, but you will always have it. You may never have another symptom or you may have it reoccur. If that happens it might be that you got a new strain not a flair up of a type you already have.